or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

Reversing Sensors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
hughierob   
Fri Jan 25 2019, 03:52am
Member No: #51916
I have recently bought a 2014 C4 Coupe 1.6 hdi and 1 am very pleased with it. The only draw back is that it
is not fitted with reversing sensors. I have been given a set which I would like to install. I have searched several websites and cannot find a thread covering this particular year / model. I have read that on some earlier models the power supply should not be taken from the reversing light supply but cannot find if it is ok to do that on this particular model.
I am happy to install the sensors but would leave the connection to an auto electrician. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
BigJohnD   
Fri Jan 25 2019, 04:41pm

Member No: #82
You will need to use a relay and a power supply from, preferably, the fuse box.

The reason is that wiring to the lights carries a CANBus signal to detect the light is working. A large increase in load will produce CANBus error messages. There is likely to be a warning label in the vicinity about not interfering with the wiring, and even small increases in current can cause problems.
hughierob   
Sat Jan 26 2019, 10:52am
Thank you Pit Team for your reply. I am a bit dim on auto electrics but how would the sensors be triggered or switched by having a live supply and relay.
BigJohnD   
Sun Jan 27 2019, 09:54am

Member No: #82
When you engage reverse gear, the reversing lights come on. The current to the lights then trips the relay to switch on the power from the fuse box to the reversing sensors. They'll go off when you take the gear lever out of reverse.
hughierob   
Mon Jan 28 2019, 01:35pm
Thank you for that I now understand how it works. Your advice is much appreciated.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member