or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Eco won't stay on

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Mon Jan 07 2019, 11:57am
Member No: #574
I had similar, but I had STOP and Battery Charging fault. It required a new alternator under warranty. With the faults you have, I would be taking it to the agents.
gittos   
Mon Jan 07 2019, 03:22pm
Member No: #30055
First thing to check is definitely the battery, if the battery is failing (and at 3.5 yeras it could be) and 4 weeks without use it will probably not be in the best condition. These cars throw up all sorts of spurious faults if the battery is failing. Get the battery properly tested (Drop Test)

routemaster1   
Tue Jan 08 2019, 04:10am
Odd thing! I had the alternator replaced after a series of dire warning messages. Before I had the issue, the stop/start hadn't operated for ages. With the alternator replaced it was working again. However, that only lasted for the first 2 or 3 days, and now we are back to not operating again. Not over-worried yet though!
Ashwinher   
Tue Jan 08 2019, 04:49am
Member No: #52640
Thanks for the responses. I have booked an appointment with the dealer in Galway next week. In the mean time will replace the battery and give a try. Do you know what is the cost of alternator? local mechanic told it can be 1100 Euros...
BigJohnD   
Wed Jan 09 2019, 05:54am

Member No: #82
I'm not 100% sure how the stop/start system works. I think there's a massive capacitor which powers the alternator to turn the engine to start it. So an under-performing alternator would cause the system not to work.
Ashwinher   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 06:12am
Thanks for all the response. looks like either I need to get alternator replaced or repaired. Any idea of the cost of new alternator or any suggestions to get it repaired?
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 07:56am
BigJohnD wrote ...

I'm not 100% sure how the stop/start system works. I think there's a massive capacitor which powers the alternator to turn the engine to start it. So an under-performing alternator would cause the system not to work.

Or an underperforming capacitor?
Ashwinher   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 11:22am
Sure.How to know if the issue is with capacitor? I called a local Car electric who was very confident to repair the issue. I am going to him tomorrow. If I make any progress, will update the forum.
1 User said Thank You to Ashwinher for this Post :
 BigJohnD (10 Jan 2019 : 13:15)
Ashwinher   
Fri Jan 11 2019, 12:54pm
Looks like after 2 hours of drive the eco is working and no more faults/warning. Now I am definitely thinking it may be the battery. I will get it changed. Do someone know if we need code for radio?
routemaster1   
Fri Jan 11 2019, 01:00pm
Ashwinher wrote ...

Looks like after 2 hours of drive the eco is working and no more faults/warning. Now I am definitely thinking it may be the battery. I will get it changed. Do someone know if we need code for radio?

No, you don't. Radios have been coded to the VIN for years. You will probably need to correct date and time.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 Ashwinher (11 Jan 2019 : 16:41)
Ashwinher   
Fri Jan 11 2019, 04:35pm
Ashwinher   
Tue Jan 15 2019, 05:33am
Fyi I got the vehicle tested at Main Citroen dealer/service in Galway and they told the issue is with battery and needs to be changed. Also got to know no code required for radio.
Jimux   
Sat Feb 23 2019, 08:29am

Member No: #8137
I am an intermittent, rather than daily, user of the car, and the stop start only works reliably after a long blast on the motorway. It's always been like that, even when it was only a few months old. One of the dealer's staff ran a similar car and used the motorway daily, but was not much better. It is worth putting a charger on the car and seeing if a full charge resolves the issue.
Clutha   
Fri May 31 2019, 01:13pm
Member No: #48826
I'm trying to programme myself to switching the eco off at the start of every journey!
Why?
At my 2015 C4 Grand Picasso 24000 mile service a few weeks ago, the service reception fella (former vehicle electrician) informed me that coming up with this system was the worst thing the industry have done!

I tend to agree.

As a retired marine/offshore engineer, stopping and starting machinery frequently was always taboo.

I'm aware its not a starter motor as such, all done via a special alternator + special battery.

I also have a pal whose Nissan Quashqi(?) was fitted with a new engine under a recall at its 1st MOT due to the stop start system.
It had no apparent fault and he was just advised his engine was getting changed, FOC.

My wife and I have found the system to be a pain in stop/start traffic and I regularly kept the clutch down to defeat it, not a method of driving I am happy with.

I just wish there was a way of switching it off permanently.
iscom   
Fri May 31 2019, 01:35pm
Member No: #20936
I think if you keep the aircon on the eco won't work
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member