or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Yet another issue

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Wed Dec 12 2018, 02:30pm
Member No: #574
Just been down to our local Christmas festival. On the way to pick up our daughter, there was an alarm, a big red warning in the middle of the speedo saying 'Engine fault, stop the vehicle', STOP on the left and brown ECO OFF, rapidly followed by 'Battery charging fault' in the middle of the speedo, and the battery icon lit. After picking up the daughter, there were no warnings, but after about 30 seconds it repeated. After parking for a couple of hours there were no warnings on restarting, but a few seconds later it came up again.

Has anyone else had similar?

If anyone recalls the other issue we have is that our C3 is dead, and I have no idea when the new one on order will be delivered. This time of year I cannot do without a car, so I need to get in touch first thing tomorrow. My extended warranty entitles me to a hire car, but whatever happens I must have the car Friday evening, the weekend and definitely next Wednesday! So it may be off to a car hire company.

I will try to remember to post when I have more info!
FrankBullitt   
Wed Dec 12 2018, 03:30pm

Member No: #19238
Sounds like it’s an alternator/ stop start issue - the brown eco, message and the red light would suggest a fault there. Have you tried turning the stop start off?

Either way, Citroen will. I doubt be able to sort it but timing is the key...
Wutang   
Thu Dec 13 2018, 06:04am
Member No: #46858
Sounds like your alternator belt may have died, the stop start system uses the alternator to restart the engine, if the belt went the ECO would be disabled and you would get a charge fault on the battery side of things. I would get the belt and tensioner checked.
routemaster1   
Thu Dec 13 2018, 06:08am
FrankBullitt wrote ...

Sounds like it’s an alternator/ stop start issue - the brown eco, message and the red light would suggest a fault there. Have you tried turning the stop start off?

Either way, Citroen will. I doubt be able to sort it but timing is the key...

Bit the bullet (pun intended) and took it in this morning and the warnings came up every time I started, but it ran fine! I did take the precaution of photographing the warnings. I didn't try turning the eco off. They probably won't be able to look at it until Friday, and then it will probably require parts that will take a couple of days to get in, so I have hired a car until next Thursday in the hope that I can reclaim some of the charge frm Citroen. Couldn't believe how difficult it is to turn up and hire a car on the spot. But I did get one, a Vauxhall Adam!
routemaster1   
Thu Dec 13 2018, 06:26am
Wutang wrote ...

Sounds like your alternator belt may have died, the stop start system uses the alternator to restart the engine, if the belt went the ECO would be disabled and you would get a charge fault on the battery side of things. I would get the belt and tensioner checked.

I checked this morning; the belt appears OK!
gazax   
Thu Dec 13 2018, 08:57am
Member No: #50107
Had similar problem. Get battery Che ked first. Mine turned out to be the stop/start ecu. Luckily I had a warranty on the car or the bill would of been £1200 all together
routemaster1   
Fri Dec 14 2018, 10:48am
Just heard from the agents. Alternator gone, so will be fixed hopefully by Tuesday. No cost warranty fix!
FrankBullitt   
Fri Dec 14 2018, 12:33pm

Member No: #19238
Extended warranty - worth it’s weight in gold!
routemaster1   
Thu Dec 20 2018, 01:08pm
Got the car back today at no cost. Seems fine and the Eco is working again! Makes me wonder whether the alternator has been below par for some time!
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 BigJohnD (21 Dec 2018 : 07:59)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member