or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Change rear high brake LED light

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Duck999   
Sat Nov 24 2018, 12:20pm
Member No: #48434
Driving back home tonight and saw a reflection of my centre brake light on the bus windscreen behind me. Looks like one LED light is dead.

Anyone have any information on how to change the bulb? Or is changing ONE bulb even possible? Hate to spend money to replace the whole bar of lights just because one little LED bulb light is dead!

Thanks.
rusky   
Sat Nov 24 2018, 01:38pm
Member No: #27768
My guess is that the LEDs are soldered in so replacing the whole bar is the only way to go unless you're handy with a soldering iron.
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 Duck999 (24 Nov 2018 : 13:48)
Duck999   
Fri Nov 30 2018, 06:20pm
Just for reference.

The part number is 6351LX.

Got quote from garage that it would cost about £100 parts and fitting.
Duck999 wrote ...

Driving back home tonight and saw a reflection of my centre brake light on the bus windscreen behind me. Looks like one LED light is dead.

Anyone have any information on how to change the bulb? Or is changing ONE bulb even possible? Hate to spend money to replace the whole bar of lights just because one little LED bulb light is dead!

Thanks.
rusky   
Sat Dec 01 2018, 04:41am
Member No: #27768
Or £41.99 from ebay. 2 nuts hold it on.
Duck999   
Sat Dec 01 2018, 09:44am
rusky wrote ...

Or £41.99 from ebay. 2 nuts hold it on.

I usually DIY. But there is no guide on how to remove the cover under the spoiler. Don't want to use extreme force and break it. Any info?
Losty   
Mon Dec 03 2018, 04:00pm
Member No: #44439
I've just changed mine since 5 of the LED's were dead.
Ordered a replacement unit (whole bar) from a local citroen dealer. Cost me 60 pounds, and changed it myself. Took 10 minutes to do.
Tailgate open, and pry off the plastic that covers it. 2 screws out, and then some force is needed for it to pop out.
1 User said Thank You to Losty for this Post :
 Duck999 (04 Dec 2018 : 02:22)
Duck999   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 01:30am
Losty wrote ...

I've just changed mine since 5 of the LED's were dead.
Ordered a replacement unit (whole bar) from a local citroen dealer. Cost me 60 pounds, and changed it myself. Took 10 minutes to do.
Tailgate open, and pry off the plastic that covers it. 2 screws out, and then some force is needed for it to pop out.

The cover is held in place at 3 points: left, right and center. The side ones I can pull out but require some force - it also loosens the side panels. But the center point is impossible!

Did you use any tools at all to pull out the cover?

Does the bar come out from the inside (cover side) or from outside of spoiler?

And did you have to reconnect the jet washer too?
Richard_C   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 04:34am
Member No: #46470
Interesting to look at the MOT testers manual - looks like one bulb out in a array isn't a fail.

Defect Category
Stop lamp(s):
with a multiple light source up to 1/2 not functioning
Minor
missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than 1/2 not functioning
Major
all missing or inoperative
Dangerous

I did a similar job on my old C5 Tourer: once I had the unit out (a real pain on those, half an hour job to get in) I found it was easy to open up the sealed unit by running a knife along the joint between clear bit and the black plastic body. Although the inside was dry there was a lot of corrosion and crud on the circuit board, which I cleaned up. I did solder a short lead across what appeared to be a gap the the track. Resealed with goo, all worked fine so saved myself £££. LEDs themselves are pretty reliable. Might be worth opening it up before you spend money. You can always pop it all back in without refitting the covers for a day or few if you do decide you need to buy new.
Duck999   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 04:41am
Definitely won't be an MOT failure. After all these are "auxiliary" or "supplementary" lights.

Having missing LEDs on the bar looks like someone with missing teeth. So want to replace it purely for aesthetics.

Richard_C wrote ...

Interesting to look at the MOT testers manual - looks like one bulb out in a array isn't a fail.

Defect Category
Stop lamp(s):
with a multiple light source up to 1/2 not functioning
Minor
missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than 1/2 not functioning
Major
all missing or inoperative
Dangerous

I did a similar job on my old C5 Tourer: once I had the unit out (a real pain on those, half an hour job to get in) I found it was easy to open up the sealed unit by running a knife along the joint between clear bit and the black plastic body. Although the inside was dry there was a lot of corrosion and crud on the circuit board, which I cleaned up. I did solder a short lead across what appeared to be a gap the the track. Resealed with goo, all worked fine so saved myself £££. LEDs themselves are pretty reliable. Might be worth opening it up before you spend money. You can always pop it all back in without refitting the covers for a day or few if you do decide you need to buy new.

Losty   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 06:15am
All 3 points are Just clip-on, so just use violence
I unclipped the right side and center, and just let it hang while I changed the light.

I used a flat headed screwdriver to pry the plastic cover off. Unscrew the 2 bolts, and the use the other end of the screwdriver to push the unit out (hit the exposed screws to make it pop out on the other side (outside))

The jet washer hose is removed easily and put back on the new light unit.
 Duck999 (04 Dec 2018 : 11:48)
Duck999   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 11:56am
I'm due to have it looked at and replaced this weekend or next. I'm tempted to give it another try

Losty wrote ...

All 3 points are Just clip-on, so just use violence
I unclipped the right side and center, and just let it hang while I changed the light.

I used a flat headed screwdriver to pry the plastic cover off. Unscrew the 2 bolts, and the use the other end of the screwdriver to push the unit out (hit the exposed screws to make it pop out on the other side (outside))

The jet washer hose is removed easily and put back on the new light unit.

Losty   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 01:20pm
Please do! It's very straight forward once you figure it out. And very satisfying to have a proper working 3rd taillight
 Duck999 (15 Dec 2018 : 04:38)
routemaster1   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 01:59pm
Member No: #574
Losty wrote ...

Please do! It's very straight forward once you figure it out. And very satisfying to have a proper working 3rd taillight

As it is likely that a failed high level brake light will result in a failed MOT, I was wondering how many LEDs would need to have failed to result in an MOT fail!
moleman   
Tue Dec 04 2018, 02:52pm
Member No: #16299
See post above
Duck999   
Wed Dec 05 2018, 02:08am
I think even if the whole bar of LEDs failed MOT could still pass. Some cars still don't even have middle brake lights!

routemaster1 wrote ...

Losty wrote ...

As it is likely that a failed high level brake light will result in a failed MOT, I was wondering how many LEDs would need to have failed to result in an MOT fail!

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member