or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

You really must get a dashcam! (Picture heavy!)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:01pm
Member No: #574
Last Monday we took our car to the airport to travel to Vienna. When the car was left the dashcam was plugged in and working.

When we got back at 11.30 on Friday night, we set off and realised that the dashcam was not working. Investigation found it to be unplugged. So we plugged it in and it started working; however the camera was pointing upwards and there was no view of the road. This was corrected.

Forward to nearly 3 hours late, and this happened! The nasty bit is about 2 minutes in. Note the speed!

- Click Here -

Here is the aftermath.

Luckily we were not hurt although my wife has a bit of whiplash. The issue was that the accident was on a piece of road which was on the border of Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire. Three of the four Salisbury police cars attended, leaving only one car and the sergeant for the whole of Salisbury! So now to the issues with insurance and sorting a replacement, and also trying to find out why the parking company disconnected my camera!
bluehdi   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:12pm
Member No: #2617
Blimey thank goodness you’re all generally OK. Cars can of course be replaced.

Testimony to the safety of the C4 Picasso that it’s held up given the speed of over 50mph.

I’m guessing the Black Ford swerved and lost control?

According to an article in What Car magazine recently from a Service Manager, he said they normally unplug dashcams as customers may not want to hear choice language from their workshop!
rusky   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:14pm
Member No: #27768
Glad you're both OK!

That looked 100% deliberate. What happened to the other car?
FakeConcern   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:17pm
Member No: #24127
Blimey! Glad you are ok. What on earth were they thinking?
routemaster1   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:20pm
bluehdi wrote ...

Testimony to the safety of the C4 Picasso that it’s held up given the speed of over 50mph.

According to an article in What Car magazine recently from a Service Manager, he said they normally unplug dashcams as customers may not want to hear choice language from their workshop!

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was our 16 plate C3. Even better for a small car!

The other car was 51 plate Focus. The driver claimed she hit a puddle and lost control, but I paced out from my car to the puddle at 100 yards. Damage to the passenger side rear suspension. She was taken to hospital complaining of back pain.

Note that my nearside front alloy wheel split round the circumference!
FrankBullitt   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:24pm

Member No: #19238
%€$*!!!

Glad you guys are alright, how is the other driver?

With hindsight you can see the headlights starting to go in different directions but that would probably not register at the time.

Luckily it’s only metal and can be replaced and hope your wife’s whiplash eases up. I’d throw away those underpants too...
bluehdi   
Sat Oct 13 2018, 02:40pm
Member No: #2617
Wow I honestly didn’t twig that was your C3.

Because of the extensive front damage, it was difficult to tell on first looking at the photos. I really thought it was your C4P!

I’m guessing that the impact and airbag deployment happened so very quickly, that any memory of that was a blur.

Again though, Citroen safety and security is very good considering the impact.

I’ve still not got a dashcam for my car (yet), as I keep putting it off and don't like trailing leads. Your post should be a lesson to us all how important dashcams are and in particular making sure they are operating at all times!
Magistrate   
Sun Oct 14 2018, 06:34am
Member No: #1731
What an horrendous experience, glad you are all OK.At least have indisputable evidence the other driver was to blame.
I witnessed a 3 car pile up on the London bound carriageway of the M40 this morning. Travelling too fast in treacherously wet conditions a car spun out of control and two cars travelling too close smashed into one another. 3 total losses by the look of them. I never underestimate the stupidity of other drivers and have front and forward facing webcams in all of my vehicles.
rusky   
Sun Oct 14 2018, 10:11am
Member No: #27768
routemaster1 wrote ...

bluehdi wrote ...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was our 16 plate C3. Even better for a small car!

The other car was 51 plate Focus. The driver claimed she hit a puddle and lost control, but I paced out from my car to the puddle at 100 yards. Damage to the passenger side rear suspension. She was taken to hospital complaining of back pain.

Note that my nearside front alloy wheel split round the circumference!

It looks like she deliberately turns the lights off & turns across your path. I don't see the light on the verge but it could be what YT has done to the video.
FrankBullitt   
Sun Oct 14 2018, 10:24am

You can see the lights go slightly brighter as the dipped beam comes directly towards RM then the lights remain on but are pointing very much in the wrong direction!
routemaster1   
Sun Oct 14 2018, 11:50am
Unfortunately this site won't let me upload the original file format. Also my email system will not allow me to attach the file to send to the insurance company as it is too big. These are the reason it is on youtube. To be honest, the footage is not much worse than when I view it from the original file. The insurance company are supposed to be getting in touch to tell me how to send the original file, and once the two police forces involved (one of which I have had no contact with) I will have to send it to them if the youtube video isn't good enough.

We spent a large portion of the day in two A&E departments as my wife is in considerable discomfort due to bruising from the seat-belt. The little local minor injuries unit was easy with no queue as we got there early, but after a very thorough examination which showed nothing serious, the nurse phoned the local major A&E, who decided they needed to see her. So off for a 20 mile trip. She was seen by the triage nurse who said she couldn't understand why she was there, and if she wanted to stay it was a 3-4 hour wait. So we left.

I am not a fan of the compensation culture, but the system is there for a reason, so everything is recorded for when the solicitors get involved.
DeuxChevaux   
Sun Oct 14 2018, 03:22pm
Member No: #16472
Unbelievable - accident is not the correct word - deliberate would be closer. Glad you had a car that could withstand such an impact - don't think my kit car would have survived this one - or me either
BigJohnD   
Sun Oct 14 2018, 05:56pm

Member No: #82
Wow!
FrankBullitt   
Mon Oct 15 2018, 01:00am

DeuxChevaux wrote ...

Unbelievable - accident is not the correct word - deliberate would be closer. Glad you had a car that could withstand such an impact - don't think my kit car would have survived this one - or me either

Can’t see any deliberate intent - be it running out of skill, talent, ability or sense is not clear from the dash cam but no, I can’t see how you’d conclude this wasn’t an accident.
neilp   
Mon Oct 15 2018, 03:36am
Member No: #3384
routemaster1 wrote ...

Unfortunately this site won't let me upload the original file format. Also my email system will not allow me to attach the file to send to the insurance company as it is too big. These are the reason it is on youtube. To be honest, the footage is not much worse than when I view it from the original file. The insurance company are supposed to be getting in touch to tell me how to send the original file, and once the two police forces involved (one of which I have had no contact with) I will have to send it to them if the youtube video isn't good enough.

We spent a large portion of the day in two A&E departments as my wife is in considerable discomfort due to bruising from the seat-belt. The little local minor injuries unit was easy with no queue as we got there early, but after a very thorough examination which showed nothing serious, the nurse phoned the local major A&E, who decided they needed to see her. So off for a 20 mile trip. She was seen by the triage nurse who said she couldn't understand why she was there, and if she wanted to stay it was a 3-4 hour wait. So we left.

I am not a fan of the compensation culture, but the system is there for a reason, so everything is recorded for when the solicitors get involved.

Can you use Google drive or OneDrive to upload the video and send a link to your insurer.?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member