or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

You really must get a dashcam! (Picture heavy!)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Mon Oct 15 2018, 05:21am
Member No: #574
neilp wrote ...

Can you use Google drive or OneDrive to upload the video and send a link to your insurer.?

I daresay that there are many ways to do it; I'm fairly computer literate but some thing I just haven't come across. I did think of zipping it but I don't know whether that would make it small enough! I will wait for my daughter to come home this evening and see what she can suggest.

I have been to the recovery depot this morning and picked up the personal belongings, and I have daylight photos. I will probably post them later. More important is to think about a replacement car.
routemaster1   
Fri Oct 19 2018, 04:01am
The latest on this. On Wednesday, someone called from Hampshire Police to talk to my wife. As I was not injured, despite being the driver, owners and the insured, they only wanted to talk to her. After discussion, they passed it on to an officer. On Thursday when she called, again she only wanted to speak to my wife. She then asked to see the dashcam footage, which she reviewed and called back a while later. Apparently it was an 'accident'. I assume that they just meant there was not enough evidence to charge rather than it not being her fault.

Solicitors are involved now, as my wife is still black and blue; well actually red and yellow and still in considerable discomfort.

We have a Toyota Aygo as a hire car. Not too bad round town or cruising, but you take your life in your hands if you expect any power for overtaking!

New car ordered on assumption that the C3 is written off. New petrol C3 this time!
Onefut   
Fri Oct 19 2018, 05:47am
Member No: #51895
Very bizzare the way the car almost seems to turn across the road although if no idea why someone would do that on purpose.
There's no other movement on the lights to suggest she lost control.
Weird.
Hope you're wife recovers soon.
Vehicles are easily fixed or replaced bodies not quiet so easily... unfortunately.
crapday   
Sun Oct 28 2018, 08:07am
Member No: #11964
Glad your ok what a crash. My son is an apprentice mechanic and they all disconnect dash cams as, as said above, you might hear some choice language that would leave the mechanics in a bit of bother. Also your car might have been parked on a public road instead of a secure space you paid for.

Its very hard to tell what can happen when you loose control, thats why you need special training to investigate crashes.

I was involved In a crash last year (low speed roundabout) and the dash cam played a massive part in showing the other driver to be at fault. Its amazing when your about to crash that everything seems in slow motion when in fact it is your brain working at mega speed trying to get you out of trouble.

20 years ago and both parties might not be here right now. Cars are a lot safer just that we dont get better as drivers.

I would recommend everyone get a dash cam, even if its a £20 from home bargain. Mine was £40 from Aldi. see quality of the Aldi one below.

- Click Here -

Gary
bluehdi   
Sun Oct 28 2018, 09:51am
Member No: #2617
As a direct result of Routemaster1's post, I’ve this week now bought and had fitted to my car a new Nextbase Duo HD dashcam. It has two lenses in it, so it records the front wide angle and the rear image by looking through the car using a zoom lens. Not much good for the rear image if you regularly carry rear passengers though (I don’t). It’s HD and more than good.

The footage I’ve already recorded to the microSD card is really very good. It’ll capture someone on a mobile phone whether in front or behind and gives you a degree of peace of mind that you’ve got another pair of eyes capturing any incidents. Parking mode is OK as well, as it has its own half hour battery which will come on and record if it detects any jolts to the car.

I took a chance with Halfords fitting service which costs £30, but that included the Nextbase official hardwire kit, which is £20 on its own. I have a new Peugeot 3008, which has the usual (PSA group) complete muddle of a fusebox, with little room and wiring everywhere! Even so, the job took the chap just over an hour, with me watching on to make sure nothing broke and the trim went back ok. Nice to have no trailing wires, mounted up high and it linked to the fuse box via a fuse tap. Turning the ignition starts it recording immediately.

I would concur with others that having a dashcam these day really is a must. You don’t have to spend a huge amount either. Halfords will at the moment take 20% off any Nextbase dashcam (if you take an old dash cam as trade in) and price match other companies. Very pleased.
routemaster1   
Fri Nov 02 2018, 03:52am
The latest on this. Nearly three weeks after the accident my Mrs Routemaster1's bruising is subsiding, but we had to attend the Doctor because the shoulder and neck were painful. Turns out she has a crack in her collar bone.

The car was written off (well, it was obvious) and the payment was not bad. Unfortunately they want the hire car (a rather underpowered Toyota Aygo) back only 4 days (not working days) after agreeing to the value. So the car was due back on Monday despite the payment not reaching my account until the same day. They did extend it for 2 days though!. I tried to claim extra car hire from the other party but they were not interested. So the only course of action is to go through a solicitor, and this may be unsuccessful and land me with additional losses.

Luckily we are in a situation where we can afford to get a replacement car of our choice, so it will be a new C3, but petrol this time!
FrankBullitt   
Fri Nov 02 2018, 05:32am

Member No: #19238
At least it sounds like Mrs RM will makes a solid recovery once the crack has mended itself.

The terms of most car insurance is that any hire car ends the moment a pay-out is made, I think the expectation is that you’d continue the hire until buying a new car otherwise it becomes a bit open-ended but does potentially leave you out of pocket - a claim through the small claims court could deal with a reasonable period of hire.

Will you be getting the 110 puretech? Having driven a current C3 for 3 weeks the only thing that left me wanting was the 82bhp engine (I was convinced it was the 68bhp version until I realised it was a Flair, which they don’t do with that unit), the 110 will be a little peach. Otherwise they are excellent cars
routemaster1   
Fri Nov 02 2018, 07:21am
Yes, it will be the 110bhp version. Potentially faster and more economical. I have had a DS3 and a C3 loan car with the 3 cylinder 82 bhp, and although they were OK, I'm not sure that the would do me for the long distances I tend to do. Got a good deal too, but as yet no word on delivery!
rusky   
Fri Nov 02 2018, 08:36am
Member No: #27768
Do you have legal protection on any insurance/credit card/bank account? Use that to claim back any uninsured losses etc.
Clutha   
Tue Nov 06 2018, 09:02am
Member No: #48826
I've watched the vid 3-4 times and it really looks like the other cars lights went out.

Commiserations and good to hear your OK.

Our dash cam was in our C4GP for 3 days only, then we were nearly forced off the road by a lunatic doing a crazy overtake.
The film gave a perfect view of his number plate so I phoned our Police (Scotland). A constable appeared at our house very quickly and declared the issue a dangerous overtake. Turned out the driver lived quite local so he went down and issued a fine and points immediately.
I was well impressed.
Camera is Viofo, last years model.
I'm seriously considering rear facing ones now. We have a motorhome and many users are getting mirrors smashed by trucks that don't stop.
gt160   
Sun Nov 11 2018, 10:52am
Member No: #44878
ouch, im glad you are all ok thats the most important thing.

It seemed pretty straight so not quite sure how the other car lost control as such. You did well to try and get out the way as best as possible .

I probably should get a dash cam but am not fond of the wires but i guess it could be routed properly around the pillars, but then you could argue you would need one for the back also..... i dont know i find it a sorry state to think we all need to have one, but i can undoubtly see why to!

Just glad your ok and hope it all gets sorted.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member