or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Car Loses Power, Clicking Sound and Engine Management Light

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
sourcekg   
Wed Oct 03 2018, 06:08am
Member No: #52253
Hi,

My C4 1.4 hasn't been running for a few weeks and I was looking for some tips as to what could be causing the problems.

When driving a few months ago, the car lost power and I had to park it on the side of the road. I was eventually able to get it going again with a bump start and managed to get it home. This happened a few times, sometimes it would start with a bump start, sometimes it wouldn't.

After a while it wouldn't start at all. When I try and start the car now I just get a clicking noise and nothing else.

From what I've read on here, a clicking noise is either the battery, starter, alternator or a short in the earth lead.
The starter motor was replaced fairly recently and the alternator and battery have been checked and are fine. I'm not certain of exact location of the earth lead (if someone could give me a rough position that would be great). The engine fuse box has also been replaced recently.

The engine management light also comes on if that means anything.

Thanks for any help.

rusky   
Thu Oct 04 2018, 04:21pm
Member No: #27768
Probably a knackered battery.
BigJohnD   
Fri Oct 05 2018, 06:34am

Member No: #82
Clicking could be a faulty starter solenoid.
sourcekg   
Fri Oct 05 2018, 10:44am
rusky wrote ...

Probably a knackered battery.

The battery is giving a voltage of 12.1V. Might be worth me getting it tested again.

BigJohnD wrote ...

Clicking could be a faulty starter solenoid.

Is there an easy way to test it's the solenoid without ripping the car apart?
With a multimeter maybe?

I'm not entirely sure how smart it would be to follow a wikihow article on this:

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Starter-Solenoid

Thanks
sourcekg   
Mon Oct 08 2018, 05:22am
I had the AA out yesterday. The guy was really helpful and temporarily got the car going again (the battery had lost charge as it's barely been driven in a the last few months). He said the main problem didn't lie with the battery though.

The list of fault codes was very long. He basically said that it would take a garage days to figure out what the problem was.

One thing which we did notice is that there is an unfamiliar buzzing sound inside the car when it car starts now. Has anyone ever heard of buzzing inside the car being related to anything in particular (long shot, I know)?
rusky   
Mon Oct 08 2018, 12:08pm
Did he give you a list of the codes?

I would take the car to somewhere that can do a drop test on the battery as terminal voltage means nowt!
sourcekg   
Tue Oct 09 2018, 12:56pm
rusky wrote ...

Did he give you a list of the codes?

I would take the car to somewhere that can do a drop test on the battery as terminal voltage means nowt!

No list of codes. I tried to get in contact with the AA to see if they keep a record of things like that but I guess they don't.

I don't think the car would reach a mechanic or shop where the battery could get a proper test. I presume I can just remove the battery from the car and take it along myself.

I see a few places like kwik-fit/halfords do battery tests for free.
rusky   
Tue Oct 09 2018, 03:24pm
Yup, take it out & ask Halfords or Kwikfit. If you need to replace it, make sure it's the correct capacity. Some of the part finders that use the reg number don't give the correct parts or give a wide variety.
BigJohnD   
Wed Oct 10 2018, 04:01am

Member No: #82
I got my last battery from ATS. Good price and the guy knew what he was doing.

And yes, don't settle for a smaller battery because it's cheaper.
sourcekg   
Thu Oct 11 2018, 06:19am
Ok, back again. Sorry to be a pain!

Trying to find some time to get the battery down to the Kwik Fit near me before they closing time.

In the meantime, apparently the AA do keep a record of the codes and I've managed to get them to send me them. Here they are:

Patrol found the following fault code/s:
System : Engine control 1 - 3A1 / IAW 6LPP0136 - O2 sensor (bank 1, sensor 2).
Error Message : Malfunction. P0261 - Injection valve (cylinder 1).
Error Message : Short to ground. P0264 - Injection valve (cylinder 2).
Error Message : Short to ground. P0267 - Injection valve (cylinder 3).
Error Message : Short to ground. P0270 - Injection valve (cylinder 4).
Error Message : Short to ground. P0076 - .
Error Message : Unknown fault. P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 1).
Error Message : Short to +/ground, or open circuit. P0141 - O2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2).
Error Message : Short to +/ground, or open circuit. P0353 - Ignition coil 3.
Error Message : Short to +/ground, or open circuit. P1152 - Engine throttle valve Current-setting potentiometer 1/2.
Error Message : Comparison not O.K.. P0351 - Ignition coil 1/4.
Error Message : Short to +/ground, or open circuit. P0352 - Ignition coil 2/3.
Error Message : Short to +/ground, or open circuit. P0354 - Ignition coil 4.
Error Message : Short to +/ground, or open circuit. P0012 - Camshaft position sensor.
Error Message : Error detected

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member