or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Air con help.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
riven1962   
Thu Aug 09 2018, 02:59pm
Member No: #18905
For about 18 months now I have not used the aircon because it wasn't blowing cold. I assumed it had a leak because it was making a sort of wheezing sound when it was running. When my car passed it's mot last month Neil (owner of garage) asked me what's up with the aircon so I told him. He said he tested it and it was fine, had no leaks, was holding vacuum, so he topped it up. The aircon was fine and then started to make the wheezing sound again and now after about 4 weeks is not blowing cold anymore. I will pop in to see Neil next week but thought I would ask here first to see if anyone had any idea.
FakeConcern   
Fri Aug 10 2018, 08:16am
Member No: #24127
Didn't you once describe your air con as sounding like Darth Vadar behind the dash?
I have to think it must be very slowly leaking out so as to be hard to detect the leak. I believe the seals go hard and dry out when the air con has not been used, so that might be the problem.
On my last C4 I had a similar problem when the gas leaked slowly. I had it topped up which then found the problem as the condenser burst where it was damaged!
rusky   
Fri Aug 10 2018, 10:23am
Member No: #27768
Is the fan blowing as you would expect? Mine struggles sometimes, the fan runs but the air from the vents is almost non-existent.
riven1962   
Sun Aug 12 2018, 12:29pm
FakeConcern wrote ...

Didn't you once describe your air con as sounding like Darth Vadar behind the dash?
I have to think it must be very slowly leaking out so as to be hard to detect the leak. I believe the seals go hard and dry out when the air con has not been used, so that might be the problem.
On my last C4 I had a similar problem when the gas leaked slowly. I had it topped up which then found the problem as the condenser burst where it was damaged!

You have a very good memory, yes I did day that. I have suspected a leak all the time because when I drive the car now Darth Vader has gone. I will go back and see the garage, hopefully this week.
riven1962   
Sun Aug 12 2018, 12:33pm
rusky wrote ...

Is the fan blowing as you would expect? Mine struggles sometimes, the fan runs but the air from the vents is almost non-existent.

The fan is blowing as normal as it could be.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member