or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Indirect or Valve TPMS

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
triggleberry1981   
Sat Aug 11 2018, 05:22am
Member No: #51858
Good Morning , new to the site so bear with me.
I have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Airdream Exclusive - recently on a trip south we had a puncture - warning lamp came on so limped to tyre shop who fitted a new tyre. I re-initialised the TPMS system and away we went. Since then every 100 miles or so the warning lamp comes on.
We had 4 new tyres fitted ( already brought and paid for before the puncture came ) but again TPMS was reset , however the lamp still illuminates after 100 miles or driving. My question is , how do I know if my car has indirect system that works on ABS or the type that works via a sender stalk inside the tyre. I have a reader that detects the senders and gives me the pressure , battery status and tyre ID but its not picking up anything - which points me towards the indirect system.

If its working via the ABS what could possibly happen after 100 miles or 1.5 hrs of driving to cause it to alarm?

Thanks in advance for any help.
routemaster1   
Sat Aug 11 2018, 05:35am
Member No: #574
Yes, it does work with the ABS. The system is initiated to essentially learn the rotation rate of each tyre relative to the others, so it can detect a puncture in one tyre. The direct system will tell you which tyre is 'punctured', but the Citroen indirect system doesn't seem capable of distinguishing which tyre has an issue. I wouldn't have thought it too difficult to organise this.

Have you actually checked the pressures? I have had a warning on our C4GP which appeared on our way to the Channel Tunnel. A quick check showed one front tyre down a couple of psi. I reset the system and there hasn't been an issue since. I also had a warning on our C3, and there appears to be a very slow puncture as the pressure goes down very slowly, but I can't find it.

I would suggest checking the pressure to see if there is actually an issue. It could be a damaged or porous wheel.
triggleberry1981   
Sun Aug 12 2018, 03:59am
Member No: #51858
Hi Routemaster , thanks for your reply.

The tyre pressures were checked a few times now, they are all within 0.1 bar of each other. I am not sure it would be that sensitive. As the issue occurs after driving for an hour or so I was wondering if one of the pressures is building faster than the others? Which would be the opposite of underinflation but still register an alarm.
Again I wouldn't of thought it would be that sensitive.

Might have to take it to Citroen and pay the £97 to get it diagnosed.

Thanks Again

routemaster1   
Sun Aug 12 2018, 10:59am
Member No: #574
triggleberry1981 wrote ...

Hi Routemaster , thanks for your reply.

The tyre pressures were checked a few times now, they are all within 0.1 bar of each other. I am not sure it would be that sensitive. As the issue occurs after driving for an hour or so I was wondering if one of the pressures is building faster than the others? Which would be the opposite of underinflation but still register an alarm.
Again I wouldn't of thought it would be that sensitive.

Might have to take it to Citroen and pay the £97 to get it diagnosed.

Thanks Again

I don't think it is too sensitive. Mine seems to register at 3-4psi down. In theory the system would register over-pressure as it works on different rotation speeds; however, I don't thing over-pressure will increase the rolling radius by nearly as much as low pressure will reduce it

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member