or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Boot open warning / won't lock

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Warlôw91   
Thu Aug 30 2018, 04:15am
Member No: #51998
Hi everyone,

For the last few months my 2006 C4 has had this weird problem whereby the car will ping/beep that the boot is open whilst driving. However when you pull over the boot is actually locked and won't open. When you try to lock the vehicle, you hear the click as everything locks but then you hear the click as it opens again, but the boot remains locked. To open the boot I've had to lower the rear seats to crawl in and manually unlock it from inside. I haven't opened the boot in a few weeks as when I unlocked the boot manually a few times it seemed to give a grace period where it didn't give me any 'boot open' warnings so I've sort of let it be but I am curious to investigate and hopefully fix the problem. Has anyone had this issue before or has any suggestions?

I'm not much of a car enthusiast so I apologise if this is a 'newb' question.

Thanks!
Coliliqui   
Mon Sep 10 2018, 01:34pm
Member No: #32746
I have a 2006 C4 as well, and they are notorious for issues with the wiring loom that goes to the tailgate fraying and having to be replaced. There was a recall for it which applied to C4 models up to the end of July 2006. There's a re-designed wiring loom that is supposed to fix the problem.

On my car it started with electrical gremlins with the boot lock, then the boot stopped opening compeltely, then the wiper stopped working, and finally the high-level brake light stopped working. My C4 used the 'old' design of wiring loom but fell outside the recall period, so I had to replace it at my own cost.

Have a look at these threads for more info/background:

- Click Here -
- Click Here -
- Click Here -

I believe these are the details of the recall if you're interested (from - Click Here - ):

Reference: R/2011/039
Manufacturer Ref: MHU
Model: C4
Launch Date: 04/05/2011
Numbers Involved: 10844
Build Start Date: 29/05/2004
Build End Date: 21/07/2006
Concern: TAILGATE MAY OPERATE INCORRECTLY
Description: The wiring loom to the tailgate may have been routed incorrectly. This could cause damage to the wiring and, amongst other things, the boot to open inadvertently.
Remedial Action: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to check and if necessary replace the tailgate wiring harness.
Vehicle ID (VIN) : VF7******74343514 to VF7******74530340
FakeConcern   
Mon Sep 10 2018, 01:56pm
Member No: #24127
It is not always the wiring that gives these problems. Before you go pulling out the wires have a look a the plastic flap you touch to make the boot open. Due to age it looses its spring and will stay pushed in against the microswitch giving various symptoms like the one you are experiencing. Try prising the flap away from the microswitch with a small screwdriver to see if it makes a difference. If it does, you can push a bit of foam rubber under the flap to make it spring out each time.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member