or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Road Tests and Model Reports

Air Con advice - Worked for me so may help someone else too.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
jsg1163   
Wed Jul 11 2018, 08:22am
Member No: #50650
Hello all,

Just want to share my experience with my lovely C4 GP Excl. + model.

As we have seen the sun blasting the heat in the last 2-3 weeks and many have had air con issues and hissing noise etc, especially when the temp was touching 30+ in some areas.

I was travelling to Glasgow and on the motorway, it was showing 34DC. I guess it was because of the heat coming from the tarmac also raised the temp by few degrees. It was a fully loaded car with 5 people and over 150kg+ weight in the boot. My air con struggled to keep the car cool and we were sweating inside the car with the air con fully on, both front and rear. The air con was making hissing noises after every 50-80 seconds and it was not looking good.

After driving for about 4-5 hours, when the temp was at its peak, I turned off the ECO mode in the settings. Don't know how and why but that has made the massive difference. Ever since then, everytime I sit in the car the first thing I do (after starting the engine) is to turn off the eco mode.

Now I dont have any issue with my air con and it is working fine ever since. No more hissing noises. A fully loaded car stays cool at fan speed 3 at temp 30+ both local driving or motorway.

I was going to take the car to the dealer for air con checkup, regas etc. which would have cost £200+ since its the new (R1234YF) gas. I am not going to bother this year.

I thought I should share this with you as it has helped me.

Thank you
3 User said Thank You to jsg1163 for this Post :
 iscom (11 Jul 2018 : 10:11) , Magistrate (11 Jul 2018 : 10:52) , bluehdi (11 Jul 2018 : 13:39)
10coupe   
Thu Jul 12 2018, 02:02am
Member No: #40778
Just out of interest, does your Citroen leave puddles of water underneath after a run with the aircon blasting? I was parked last weekend in a multi-storey car park and someone left a note on the screen saying the car was leaking water! - I'm pretty sure it's the condensing water but it does leave quite a puddle!
moleman   
Thu Jul 12 2018, 03:12am
Member No: #16299
Yes always, never turn the Air con off, always have a puddle.
jsg1163   
Thu Jul 12 2018, 05:12am
Never noticed it as I have never stopped/parked the car and sat inside with the air con ON... always sitting inside and driving so wouldnt know about the water puddle. But water coming with air con switched on, is normal.

10coupe wrote ...

Just out of interest, does your Citroen leave puddles of water underneath after a run with the aircon blasting? I was parked last weekend in a multi-storey car park and someone left a note on the screen saying the car was leaking water! - I'm pretty sure it's the condensing water but it does leave quite a puddle!

routemaster1   
Thu Jul 12 2018, 08:50am
Member No: #574
You don't have to sit in the car with the air-con on. Just drive and park, and when you move off you will leave a line of condensate on the road. The condensate may freeze, then melt when the car is switched off, leaving the puddle.
jsg1163   
Thu Jul 12 2018, 10:15am
I don't get the condensation or water dripping at my driveway or at work. I travel about 2 hours with air con ON (AM and PM) and there is no water dripping from the car.

I guess some cars may be a small reservoir which collects the water and before it overflows, it gets evaporated by the heat or something like that... just like in fridge/freezers.

routemaster1 wrote ...

You don't have to sit in the car with the air-con on. Just drive and park, and when you move off you will leave a line of condensate on the road. The condensate may freeze, then melt when the car is switched off, leaving the puddle.

wunny   
Fri Jul 13 2018, 08:18am
Member No: #42824
Mine always leaves condensate drips, and on my drive, which is off white concrete, it stains the concrete black, which does not wash out!

On the ECO off thing, if you had got the outside temperature to 36°C it switches itself off!
1 User said Thank You to wunny for this Post :
 jsg1163 (16 Jul 2018 : 04:42)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member