or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Eco won't stay on

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Granny-Go-Go   
Sun Jul 05 2015, 12:55pm
Member No: #41206
I have a C4 Grand Picasso 7 seater, which is only 9 days old. When I first got it the ECO system worked properly by cutting out the engine when stationary at traffic lights etc - but - a few days ago my husband was fiddling with the touch screen settings, prodding this and that - and now I can't get the ECO button to stay on.

If I press it - it goes green and say ECO ACTIVE, but then within 2-3 seconds it goes off again and the red light on the dash shows "ECO OFF"

Any ideas how I can re-set it to stay on please? I'm not that tech savvy, so easy to understand replies would be appreciated

Thanks!
routemaster1   
Sun Jul 05 2015, 01:11pm
Member No: #574
Granny-Go-Go wrote ...

I have a C4 Grand Picasso 7 seater, which is only 9 days old. When I first got it the ECO system worked properly by cutting out the engine when stationary at traffic lights etc - but - a few days ago my husband was fiddling with the touch screen settings, prodding this and that - and now I can't get the ECO button to stay on.

If I press it - it goes green and say ECO ACTIVE, but then within 2-3 seconds it goes off again and the red light on the dash shows "ECO OFF"

Any ideas how I can re-set it to stay on please? I'm not that tech savvy, so easy to understand replies would be appreciated

Thanks!

Have you been using the aircon? On mine, when you stop with the aircon running the engine will stop, but it will suddenly restart before I put the clutch in. You can disable the system via the touchscreen, but as soon as you stop the engine and then restart the system is re-enabled. From the manual there are several situations when stop/start is not available. Some are:
the engine is needed to maintain a comfortable temperature in the passenger compartment.
demisting is active
some special conditions (battery charge, engine temperature, braking assistance, ambient temperature....)where the engine is needed to ensure control of a system.

There are several others. Try page 151 in the manual.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jul 05 2015, 01:17pm

Member No: #1
There are a lot of 'Factors' that stop Eco mode engaging which are clearly detailed in the owners handbook from page 6 onward so it's best if you start by reading that 1st - click the images to enlarge: (to me it looks like it won't work more often than it will....)

1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 Granny-Go-Go (10 Aug 2016 : 06:57)
routemaster1   
Mon Jul 06 2015, 02:43am
I have discovered one unlisted reason why it won't work. You have to stop and put the car into neutral by disengaging the gear using the clutch. I suppose I have become a little lazy over the years and slip out of gear without the clutch. When I do this the engine keeps running until I press and release the clutch pedal.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 Granny-Go-Go (06 Jul 2015 : 06:41)
Granny-Go-Go   
Mon Jul 06 2015, 06:44am
Member No: #41206
Thank guys! I'll give it go and hope for the best!

Believe it or not I was a fully trained motor mechanic and worked for a local garage back in the late 1970's and 80's, so can strip an engine down no problem - but these computer operated cars are waaaaay beyond my aging brain
avionista   
Sun Jul 31 2016, 05:09am
Member No: #36250
Some observations on the operation of the Grand C4 Picasso 'ECO' function.

I have had my 1.6 HDi e-115 Manual Exclusive+ model for two years now and have found that the operation of the 'ECO' STAR/STOP function seems to be very dependent (directly or indirectly) on outside (ambient) air temperature. Over the past two years I have taken my car to the Costa Blanca on four occasions, staying in Spain for 6-8 weeks each time. When my car is in Spain the START/STOP system seems to work most of the time, even when I start up first thing in the morning and drive only a 100m to the gate on our urbanisation. Clearly, the engine cannot be up to temperature at this point but the 'ECO' function works as advertised. When the outside temperature is in the high 20s the 'ECO' system still works, but if you have to wait too long before moving off, with the aircon ON, the engine will restart automatically.

Back in Scotland, in winter, the 'ECO' system rarely operates but does operate quite often in summer when the temperatures are higher.
routemaster1   
Wed Aug 10 2016, 06:35am
The Eco system will not work when the external temperature is too high. On mine, in Austria last week, a warning came up (brown colour) saying in effect that the temperature was too high. It was at 35oC at the time, and the warning stayed on until the temperature had dropped to 34oC
avionista   
Mon Sep 25 2017, 06:33am
Member No: #36250
I now have a late 2016 GC4P 1.6 BlueHdi 120 Exclusive+ EAT6 and am currently on the Costa Blanca. In the warm weather the Start/Stop system works nearly all the time and the ambient temperature seems to have an important role in controlling when the system operates. For instance, as soon as the outside air temperature reaches 35C an orange ECO Off message appears and the start/stop ceases to work. When the temperature falls to 34C or lower it starts working again. Obviously, when I am at home in Scotland this info is of little consequence!
A380   
Sun Oct 29 2017, 02:52am
Member No: #16957
My ECO system hasn't worked for months. The other day I had the battery tested by two different autofactors. Both plugged laptops in and the results where the same, it was showing it was only holding 40% of its normal capacity. The battery was the original Citroen fitted one from new (03/14 dated).
After replacing the battery with a new Exide AGS one and checking that it was getting the correct charging current, the ECO system works perfectly.
It cuts in with the AC on, wipers and lights on.
It cuts in when the car has only been running for 1 min.
It cuts in when the outside temp is 4 degC.
It just works 100% perfectly, so if yours isn't working as it should, go get the battery tested.
1 User said Thank You to A380 for this Post :
 2bMaxx (14 Sep 2023 : 04:37)
DeuxChevaux   
Sun Oct 29 2017, 03:59am
Member No: #16472
The battery needs 77% charge before the ECO function works so that will often be a factor. Secondly, and I may have misunderstood the op, with mine the eco function is active and available when I simply start the car, pressing the eco button will turn the function off, press again and it will be restored. Not sure but it reads to me as if the op thinks you have to turn it on each time.
Please accept my apologies if I have misread this and also if button functions have changed since my (2013) car was built

BTW - my stop start didn't work when I bought the car but now does most of the time except when I have done a lot of very short journeys
MSR   
Mon Jun 25 2018, 03:38pm
Member No: #51029
I'm not sure if my stop start system ( SSS ) is functioning correctly and would appreciate some feedback. I've done a 140 mile round trip today, all on reasonably fast A roads with several towns waiting for my SSS to kick in but not once did it happen. The car is 15 months old with 12000 miles on the clock. I've had the car 10 weeks and the SSS has worked very infrequently up to now. A couple of weeks ago it needed 50 miles of motorway before the SSS operated and then on the same journey after a further 30 miles at a traffic jam the system worked faultlessly for about 30 min but then ran out of capacity ( this was whilst towing a caravan ) and has never worked since. I'm curious to know what sorted of mileage fellow owners are needing before their SSS kicks in. I am sure all the parameters are being met for my SSS to operate.
My car is a 2017 C4P 2.0 Diesel Auto 15 months old 12000 miles.
Thanks.
wunny   
Mon Jul 09 2018, 12:32pm
Member No: #42824
My Eco turned itself off today, with the message 'Temperature too low'

The outside temperature was showing 36°

There was no way the air con was going to be turned off whilst creeping along in very slow traffic for 3 miles.

Anyway, once we were in free flowing traffic, the temperature dropped to 29° and at the next traffic light stop the Eco was working once more.

All good again!
routemaster1   
Mon Jul 09 2018, 01:17pm
Are you sure it was 'temperature too low'? It should obviously be 'temperature too high', and this is what I have seen. I have previously posted that the stop/start function does not work when the external temperature exceeds 35oC.
wunny   
Sat Oct 06 2018, 08:23am
Member No: #42824
Hi RM1, Sorry about the delay in getting back, but yes 'Temperature too low' is what it said. I couldn't understand it either at the time. There was no low temperatures anywhere that day. Unless it meant that I had set the air con temperature too low, as it was set to the minimum it could go to.

Everything is working fine at the moment (reaches out to touch some wood) apart for the battery losing its charge below 70%,after a few days of being parked up, so the Eco doesn't work until the car has been driven for around 100 miles. The battery has been checked as being OK, so either something is running it down, or it really is faulty and there is a reluctance to change it under warranty.

Ashwinher   
Mon Jan 07 2019, 11:17am
Member No: #52640
Hello Folks, Happy new year
Just joined the forum. I have a 3.5 year old C4 Grand Picasso with 77k kms on board. The car was running fine before I went on vacation for 4 weeks. But as I returned back and started my Vehicle. I am getting Engine fault Message, with Service and Eco Off blinking. The Faults are intermittent, but Eco is not working. Other than that the car is running fine and no issues. I tried to get the error codes read from a local mechanic and the following error codes are present( All intermittent)
P1382- Ancillary Drive belt fault in coherence between engine Speed and the Alternator speed.
U1332- Communication on LIN Error of length or Prohibited value of the reversible alternator data stream
P1536- Measurement of the brake pedal position- Incoherence between the two brake sensors detected under deceleration
U1133- Communication on LIN- The reversible alternator is confirmed absent
U1134- Communication on LIN No communication with the voltage retaining device
U1400- Registering of a fault on the LIN network

All the fault codes are intermittent.

Based on the above code looks like there is some issue with Alternator circuit or alternator itself. Someone suggested it can be due to issue with Battery also, but I do not see any battery low message.

Please suggest if any of you have faced same problem and how it was resolved. Do you know what is the cost of alternator and battery?

Thanks
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member