or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Breakdown insurance including Europe

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Richard_C   
Thu May 24 2018, 10:35am
Member No: #46470
I need 'stand alone' breakdown/recovery etc cover including Europe. Chris Knott do a decent UK deal (my wife has it) but will only do Europe if its bundled with insurance which I don't want.

Green Flag seems to be OK on price, c £75 for best UK cover and Europe with their online discount. I will need to watch the auto renew carefully. Reviews of them and all the providers are very mixed - love/hate. I guess with the insurers who use a "carefully selected network of independent repairers" it all depends who you get on the day. A day which hopefully will never come.

Any comments, suggestions, thoughts, good or bad experiences before I press the 'buy' button on green flag?

The AA are not in the mix - 3 years ago my aged father in law who had been in a nursing home for well over a year was auto renewed twice even after we had sent the forms back to say no. He was incapable of speech (stroke) they insisted on speaking only to him. Evidence, POA, etc etc sent but it took MONTHS to sort it out. Yes, its a grudge.
Keith   
Thu May 24 2018, 01:29pm
Member No: #25323
I belong to Start rescue although luckily I have not had to use them but they are competitively priced and don't auto renew.

See link.
- Click Here -
rusky   
Thu May 24 2018, 02:52pm
Member No: #27768
Another vote for start rescue.
FrankBullitt   
Thu May 24 2018, 03:35pm

Member No: #19238
We use Britannia via our Nationwide account (£13pcm but includes travel insurance, breakdown cover and other things)
Richard_C   
Fri May 25 2018, 02:33pm
Thanks all. Britannia look a bit expensive if you don't have an affinity scheme of some sort. Given up on RAC - expensive and website "tricky" - can't find what I want easily and all prices headlined are monthly. Start Rescue look ideal for UK, their European cover has a couple of 'gotchas' and Green Flag seem to have better terms and barely any more expensive. I might have to do GF/SR years about to avoid loyal customer price hikes.

You never really know until you break down and I don't plan to do that.

rusky   
Fri May 25 2018, 02:42pm
Member No: #27768
what are the start rescue issues?
Richard_C   
Fri May 25 2018, 04:33pm
It's only really with the European cover and its in the detail of the T&C. If you breakdown on a European Motorway and have to use the official appointed recovery agents the refund is capped, with GF its whatever the receipt is for. Who knows how much recovery costs on an Autobahn, route or strada, how do I know if the cap is reasonable?

Reading on, SR will recover car to UK if it can't be fixed within 48 hours or before your scheduled departure whichever is the later, GF its scheduled departure. So as I read it, imagine you break down big time as you run up the A26 past Reims for an evening departure. GF will bring your car home because you can't make the departure, SR won't unless it can't be fixed in 48 hours. I look at stuff like that and see it as a getout clause, wonder how many other get out clauses there are and look elsewhere.

Then again, every insurance has its + and -, so who knows until something happens.

BigJohnD   
Mon May 28 2018, 09:21am

Member No: #82
I've been using Eurorescue - Click Here - for many years. Check them out.
iscom   
Tue May 29 2018, 04:46am
Member No: #20936
I been using the AA European cover with gives full cover including a get you home service hotel car hire etc plus up to £500 repair cover
jsg1163   
Tue May 29 2018, 08:23am
Member No: #50650
iscom wrote ...

I been using the AA European cover with gives full cover including a get you home service hotel car hire etc plus up to £500 repair cover

Which cover is that? Is it AA's Breakdown and Warranty cover?

Are there any exclusions (list) like others? and Do they try NOT to cover you by saying everytime that your fault comes under normal wear/tear?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member