or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

2015 C4GP 2.0 HDI EAT - Humming / Droning/ Whining/Purring?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Hatmc   
Sun Feb 11 2018, 01:07pm
Member No: #50470
Hello there- I purchased a 2015 C4GP 2.0 HDI EAT from a citroen dealer at the weekend. Upon driving the 30 miles home via motorways I noticed a humming / droning sound at speeds of 40mph+ getting louder the faster the speed. Kind of like an airplane sort of noise, together with some fairly significant vibrations.

Now I've read that the 2.0 HDI is much less refined than the 1.6 HDI, but I really don't notice that as an issue up to 30-40mph, and certainly not at idle (prob because I've just traded in my rather unrefined kia carens...)

The question is, is this humming/ droning/ whining something which is a feature of the 2.0 HDI engine? Or is it, as I'm slowly convincing myself, possibly due to failing wheel bearings?

It would be very poor form if the citroen dealer has sold me this with the knowledge that one or more wheel bearings is close to failing. I believe replacement is covered under the standard 6mth warranty.

I'm thinking of taking it to a local garage and asking if they can look into it and perhaps provide a diagnosis, before I travel the 30 miles back to the dealership to get them to sort it out backed up with the diagnosis I'd already have.

Anyone else noticed this noise / vibration?!?

Thanks for any help!

johnnybee   
Wed Feb 14 2018, 04:19am
Member No: #11981
Having the same kind of vehicle as yours I was also worried about the rumbling noise's, although in my car I didn't notice them until I was travelling on the motorway above 60 Mph. One day when coming down from Newcastle I hit about 4 Mls of newly laid road surface and instantly the growling went away. In my mind I put the noise down to the tyres and forgot all the dreadful things it might have been. Road surfaces and tyres play a big part in the driving experience and can really "Do your head in" if you can't figure out what is going on.
Anyway I've had the car nearly a year now and nothing has dropped off or given up yet, so happy motoring.
johnnybee   
Wed Feb 14 2018, 04:25am
Member No: #11981
P.S. As regards to the vibrations, get yourself down to the local Tyre Fitters and have all four wheels balanced and the Tracking checked.
Richard_C   
Wed Feb 14 2018, 04:49am
Member No: #46470
Roll off Eurotunnel onto A26, road/tyre noise is always significantly less than it was on the M20 which got you to our end of the tunnel. Tyres can make a big difference as well - look at somebody like Blackcircles.com and
look up the dB rating of whatever you have. Shouldn't vibrate though so right to investigate further.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Feb 14 2018, 12:10pm

Member No: #19238
We tear drove a 2.0 C4P with 18” wheels a couple of years ago and I noticed it droned a lot too, when I got out and had a look it had four different tyres on only one of them being an original Michelin, the other three were ditch-finders which I suspect made the noise.

Also, the vibrations are quite possibly poorly balanced tyres - I’d check to see whether the tyres are a decent brand and then get them all balanced
Hatmc   
Sun Feb 18 2018, 03:18am
Member No: #50470
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. I feel better about this now. My wife thinks I'm hearing things but coupled with the low tyre inflation indicator complaining every now and again I think that is reason enough to get it checked. Booked in for next week. 40 quid for a drive and checking of all wheels and Tyres. Not bad I suppose. Thanks again
routemaster1   
Sun Feb 18 2018, 03:41am
Member No: #574
It isn't strictly speaking a low pressure warning system. The system works, afaik, by comparing the rotation speed of each wheel using the ABS sensors. If one wheel loses tyre loses pressure, the rolling diameter changes, the wheel spins faster and the system picks this up. If the alarm does go off, it seems to go into the memory and will continue every time you start until essentially it is cancelled by reinitialising.
However, if you just neglect to maintain tyre pressures, and they all slowly deflate at much the same rate, the system will not notice and there will be no alarm.
In a hypothetical situation where you have a slow puncture in each front tyre, deflating at the same rate, I have no idea whether it will be detected.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member