or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Puretech 110 + EAT - any experience (not C4 so posted here)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Richard_C   
Fri Feb 09 2018, 10:20am
Member No: #46470
We are getting close to swapping out family car #3 for a year old Mk 3 C3 puretech 110 EAT Auto, and I know that powertrain is also installed in 130bhp guise C4 Picassos which some of you might own.

Any comments on the engine/gearbox or new shape C3s generally would be welcome.

Driving preferences = quiet comfort and fast cruising, not hammering around bends for the joy of it. We already have a Mk 2 C3 with a non turbo 82 1.2 engine in the family, and the engine is impressive for a little 3 pot - more torque than I would have expected.

3 cars sound extravagant but we live far far away from decent public transport and the children are no longer children .....I feel like a fleet manager some days.
FrankBullitt   
Fri Feb 09 2018, 01:15pm

Member No: #19238
We had a courtesy C3 82 Puretech whilst the DS4 was having it’s head gasket replaced, which took 4 weeks. We all really liked it, it really is a relaxing and comfortable car with excellent ergonomics and fantastic ride. I wasn’t that impressed with the engine and felt it was gutless but your obviously looking at the 110. This was a Flair model and came well specified, it had the red highlights on the interior which lifted it nicely.

We used the car to travel to the North East (200 miles each way) and it was perfectly adept once wound up to 70mph!
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 Richard_C (Last Week)
Richard_C   
Fri Feb 09 2018, 03:46pm
Member No: #46470
Thanks good to hear that its comfortable and relaxing for long trips. Ours tend to be very local or very long, thought about Fiesta, excellent in many ways but ubiquitous. C3 Mk 3 is distinctive love or hate.

We are pretty happy with the 82 in the Mk2, flexible enough but you sometimes need to drop a gear to recover to motorway speeds. If you get one again, see what happens at high speed. We ended up in Cumbria last Spring with the C3 for various reasons. 4 adult sized people and a full boot, bowling along on M6 and I wanted to get past a bunch of traffic - as soon as it got above 4500 in 5th all the secondary vibrations went away and it flew - sustained high speed for mile after mile.

Anyway, have a couple on shortlist so will make up our minds early next week.

How can it take 4 weeks to do a head gasket? I could do my Hillman Hunter in 90 minutes in the street in winter as long as I had help to lift it all off the studs and lift it back on (manifolds, carbs and all, don't undo more than you have to).

Thinking about it, its ages since I heard of anybody having a head gasket problem. Back in student days my mate had a 100E side valve, did gasket twice and then found a small crack in head. So he made a sandwich: araldite, gasket, araldite, torqued it all up, got it running and added the essential accessory, handwritten sign "For sale £42 10/-" a week later, problem gone.

FrankBullitt   
Sat Feb 10 2018, 03:28am

Member No: #19238
It’s still not clear to me whether there was a coolant issue which led to the head gasket going or it failing first - I have subsequently heard that our 2.0HDi ‘blue’ May not be the only one that’s suffered - have a look at the last post I made in the following thread for more information;

- Click Here -

The C3 is a nice little car, I’d happily own one with a bit of power - I did wonder at first if it was the 68bhp version but it was definitely a Flair and they don’t do that engine with this model. I have also driven a 208 with the 82bhp engine and don’t remember it being quite so glacial so perhaps the C3 is a bit of a chunkster or this one was just a bit off.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member