or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Squealing chirping noise from drive belt c4 gp 12 plate

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Colls10   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 03:31pm
Member No: #40175
Hi everyone looking for some thoughts please !! C4 gp airdream 1.6hdi auto. Due for service and m o t . 2012 plate 35k. Today doing school run and started to hear a squeaking chirping noise from under bonet. Lifting bonnet the noise coming from the drive belt and pulley area. On acceleration it kind of goes off. Also the more electrics / air con I put on the louder it is. Service light came on and warning fault repair needed came up and a warning saying eco switched off. On increase in speed they all went off . Sat car in drive on idle and it was making the noise faintly. Turned air con on and lights and it started louder. What are anyone’s thoughts and is this going to cost me £££. Read it could be there belt then maybe tensioner !??? Any ideas greatly appreciated and what sort of
Job to fix / price if any ideas !!!
Thanks in advance
routemaster1   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 04:19pm
Member No: #574
Sounds like the ancilliary drive belt (what used to be known as the fan belt) may be slipping. It will get worse when the electrical load is increased. Also, if the battery isn't charging properly the eco system will cease to function.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 Colls10 (16 Jan 2018 : 00:35)
Colls10   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 12:35am
Thanks for response . Hoping it is just the belt and not the tensioner ! Hoping that as it’s only at 35k . Will find out today !!!
Colls10   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 06:56am
So to follow. Drive kids in to school and the noise didn’t start formabour 5 mins. The. Flashes up battery was not charging . Got to garage where care due to be m out and serviced and hopefully rectify what hopefully was just a belt. Have now received a phone call saying they got car on the rampsnto do emission test , lit up like a Christmas tree and now won’t start. They feel the noise etc is probably there alternator that may have packed up . Any thoughts anyone ???
Colls10   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 10:14am
Just been down to garage. They have now for car back from m o t station and said the alternator is only kicking out 7volts and have ordered a new alternator for £305 and said they think it will take 2 hours to fit ? I am a bit puzzled as yes it was making a fair bit of noise last night and this morning and the no charge to battery light only flashes up with a warning message for a minute and went off when I accelerated but noisy. Left it at a garage . The m o t station picked it up and drove it off, but say when on ramps it lit up like a Christmas tree with warnings and then cut out and would only start if jump leads connected but cut out when taken off. At only 35k miles it’s hard to see how an alternator has just packed up ??
Not sure what else I can do really as they say rhey have tested the alternator at 7volts and that’s it and that’s what was causing the noise and warning lights. That being SERVICE yellow Light, ENGINE FAULT NEEDS REPAIR , ECO ACTIVATED followed by ECO DEACTIVATED . Any thoughts !???
Colls10   
Wed Jan 17 2018, 01:58pm
just follow up from above. really looking for some thoughts here as I'm starting to feel ive been had over here. Have called garage after having car another whole day. The guys had not called me, and when i spoke to him, he said they had fitted the new alternator £305 2.5 hours labour. and they were now just waiting for one more part. I asked what this was, and he said a tensioner, as it looked like the one on car was not in great shape, and said for sake of £20 quid ( my £20 on top of all ) it thought i best to fit. Gets strange, as i asked if the alternator had stopped the squealing, and he said yes, they had driven it and no squealing. Now thinking, why would you fit a new alternator, set all back up, run car, no noise, and then decide to get a new tensioner after ? I wondering if maybe all along, it was just the tensioner causing the noise, intermittent, not the alternator, and this has been replaced without need, and at a cost of £305 plus labour plus the new tensioner and labour?????? help
rusky   
Wed Jan 17 2018, 02:47pm
Member No: #27768
my tensioner chirps when the engine is cold. Has done for years!
Colls10   
Wed Jan 17 2018, 03:48pm
It was more than a chirping , was a squeal noise that got louder with revs but at times went away when increased speed, went off, then started seconds later. Lights on and a/c made it noiser. And I’ve been hit with new alternator and oh, new tensioner and many hundreds of pounds to cover this.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member