or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions Coupe and Hatch Pre 2012 and C4 Picasso :: ICE / Sat Nav/Bluetooth etc.

Philips amp location / replacement in C4GP

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
JLMA   
Wed Jan 10 2018, 03:06pm
Member No: #50224
Hi!

I have C4GP Exclusive 2007 with Philips sound system. Some time ago it went silent and after some search it didn't seem like it's unique occurrence. I opted to change to Alpine head unit to get Bluetooth-streaming added, but unfortunately for me, I didn't take into account that adapter leads won't work in systems that have separate amplifier installed. All sound signals seem to go to the amp, so it looks like there is something wrong with the amp (not necessarily fried as sound does work sometimes, but for most of the time not).

However, I cannot find any info where this amp is installed in the car. I looked under front seats and there is only subwoofer under passenger seat but nothing under drivers seat. I really need to find it so I can check the connections and possibly get a replacement part. Has anyone here done the replacement?
1 User said Thank You to JLMA for this Post :
 geoffdoig (01 Aug 2018 : 09:01)
RavenLongbows   
Wed Mar 21 2018, 06:19am
Member No: #48946
Hi.
Has anyone any info on this. I am looking for the amp due to the similar problem on my 2008 C4 Picasso Lounge. Great car but no sound.

There seem to be lots of posts with the same/similar problem. Someone must have found the solution by now!
Victorious   
Sat Apr 14 2018, 03:34pm
Member No: #50944
Any updates on this? -- I want to fit an aftermarket stereo to our Picasso Lounge but have the same issues--no sound
calderscot   
Wed Apr 25 2018, 07:20am
Member No: #29187
Hi
I have the same problem, CD30 I think the fault code is, the amplifier is not working.
I understood the amplifier was under the seat, but there's very little information on this I can find.
I found the speaker connections at the back of the radio work fine, so I've made a temp repair by connecting a speaker directly to the radio, thus bypassing the amp.
The reverse sensor works fine using this solution.
I now just need to find the amp location, I can then wire the speakers up directly, bypassing the amp.
The amp seems to be unreliable.
geoffdoig   
Wed Aug 01 2018, 09:00am
Member No: #51783
JLMA wrote ...

Hi!

I have C4GP Exclusive 2007 with Philips sound system. Some time ago it went silent and after some search it didn't seem like it's unique occurrence. I opted to change to Alpine head unit to get Bluetooth-streaming added, but unfortunately for me, I didn't take into account that adapter leads won't work in systems that have separate amplifier installed. All sound signals seem to go to the amp, so it looks like there is something wrong with the amp (not necessarily fried as sound does work sometimes, but for most of the time not).

However, I cannot find any info where this amp is installed in the car. I looked under front seats and there is only subwoofer under passenger seat but nothing under drivers seat. I really need to find it so I can check the connections and possibly get a replacement part. Has anyone here done the replacement?

The amplifier is in the boot behind the right hand panel. a weird place to put it but easy enough to get to.
Hope this helps.
1 User said Thank You to geoffdoig for this Post :
 JLMA (06 Aug 2018 : 13:31)
JLMA   
Mon Aug 06 2018, 01:44pm
Resurrecting old thread.... I did some digging into this issue. Amp is indeed in the boot, took about half an hour to disassemble things to get into it. However, there is more into this...

I poked around with Diagbox and got an error code CD31 for open cirquit in Subwoofer coil 2. This would indicate that either the sub was half dead, wiring had failed or simply bad contact. I removed the subwoofer, checked the leads and the speaker. Both coils measured stable 2,2 ohms and there was no signs of wear or foul smell from burned coils. So I put it back together. Today I thought that if I switched the connections, I should get similar error message from coil 1 if it was related to the speaker. Trying this out, suddenly sound system was working again!

Well... then I decided to poke some more with diagbox because it sounded thin and result was that when the audio system was working, there was no signal to right front door speaker and no signal to the subwoofer. Yet there were no errors in diagnostics at that time, so I put all the covers etc back together. And sound system was dead again, giving open ciquit for coil 1 of subwoofer.

It was getting annoying, so I disassebled the right side of the boot, removed the amp and opened it up. There were no visual signs of failed components. I noticed though that the amp was pretty small... so, I put it back together, cleaned all the connectors to get rid of possible bad contacts and tested again - no sound, and error from coil 1.

So, IMO it sems like the amp has failed at least partially, however, I cannot completely rule out broken leads. Does this raise any other ideas?
JLMA   
Tue Aug 07 2018, 04:29am
Some additional food for thought.... because the original Philips amp seems to be pretty unreliable, expensive and hard to find, I did some research about replacing the amp with something else. Car diagnostics wants to see all of the speakers connected to the car and then there is the question about parking sensor signals and bluetooth. Ok, bluetooth can be replaced with new head unit but the parking sensors seem to be trickier.

I found an amplifier that is designed to be PNP-installation to vehicles with CAN-bus: Match PP 62DSP. It's a 5/6 channel HD-class amplifier with DSP packed in very small space. They sell adapter kits for different cars so the amp can be installed directly to the car. Here's one for example (in German but you can use google translator...): - Click Here -

NOTE: following is only a theory at this point, I have not done this at least yet but it's represented here so anyone can check it. If someone knows how parking sensors etc are supposed to work with in this car, please comment if it's viable - if you want to try it, I won't take any responsibility for it because I have not tested this!

As far as I can understand, the adapter should work for both after market head unit and original head unit. It will be a bit more laborous than simple plug and play because of the wiring with Philips amp (where signal goes to amp and to speakers from there), if I understand it correctly, installation should be something like this:

- Connect the adapter to original head unit, it looks like you'll have to move "b-section" connector (aux in/bluetooth module) to adapter that connects to original head unit, same for "c-section" if you have one
- Connect Match amplifier to adapter
- Replace factory subwoofer with Match subwoofer (Match PP 8W-Q should fit with some modification, it's 4-coil sub designed to be used with these amps)
- Rewire speakers directly to Match amplifier, I'm not sure how much you'll have to modify adapter cables to do this
- Optionally you can replace the factory speakers with something better

I think it could work this way, but there is no confirmation to it yet. I sent message to manufacturer to confirm this, especially about the parking sensors as I don't really know how the original RD4/amp handles it (is it just digital code from CAN-bus that RD4 translates to sound and pushes it to amplifier via regular outputs or what).

If this worked, we could have perfectly integrated, reliable quality sound system instead of original unreliable PIA. Just my 2 cents....
JLMA   
Thu Aug 09 2018, 12:57pm
Ok, got it tested and sorted out for most part.

I'm going to do the repairs a bit differently as I already have Alpine head unit and Connects2 adapter. Now, this should work for all models with either Philips or JBL sound system installed and there are couple of variations if you want to run main speakers through amplifier. So, my setup will be:

- Use Alpine head unit and Connects2 adapter set
- Modify Connects2 adapter: cut wires that are going to speakers/amplifier near quadlock-connector. They are marked clearly on the wires, you only need four pairs that go to speakers, leave the rest alone!
- Replace front and rear speakers with two-way component systems, do the wiring to crossovers and to the speakers (this is optional, you can of course use originals if you prefer, however you'd have to find out where the original wiring goes)
- Replace subwoofer (or use original if you prefer that way), install new amplifier for sub and run the signal via RCA from head unit

Parking sensor signal is driven straight to speakers (you'll need all four channels connected as it will selectively run the signal to speakers depending on which sensor is beeping). If you want to use separate amplifier for main speakers, you'll need 4-channel amplifier that can take speaker level input AND will turn itself on automatically when it detects speaker level input signal. This way it should be possible to have working parking sensors regardless if head unit is turned on or not. However, I have not tested this part so I cannot vouch that such amp is correctly activated with Connect2 unit signal.

Optionally you could try to use the original head unit and install amp like mentioned before instead, however it would take some effort to decode which wires go where with original wiring. As RD4 is not especially good one might install something better for the effort...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member