or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

C4 VTS 2.0 Front and rear shock replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
PierrePienaar   
Wed Dec 20 2017, 04:47am
Member No: #42706
Hello,
So my car just came back from a service and they have stated that I have to replace both my front and rear shock absorbs. The quote they give me is extremely stiff so I would like to find out a bit more on alternatives and what aftermarket parts I can look at.

I also see on the quote that there's a charge for two mount assembleys.

Can anybody give some insight into which brands and units I can look at that won't cost me an arm and a leg please?

Thank you,
Pierre
TouringRob   
Wed Jan 24 2018, 08:36am
Member No: #50317
Have you checked out euro car parts? They often have good discount codes at weekends for 30%+ off.

Girlfriends C4 failed MOT on leaking front shock a few months ago, part was £85 from ECP and labor at local garage (lazy I know, but it was raining and cold!) was £60.

I suspect the mounts they are talking about are strut top mounts. It is surprising that you need all four!

Brand wise, Monroe, Sachs etc are all good. I am sure you would be able to find an aftermarket kit from the likes of Koni etc for £3-400 but I personally think they would spoil the car for everyday use.

Good luck
Rob,
TouringRob   
Wed Jan 24 2018, 08:43am
Member No: #50317
Just had a quick look for you,

- Click Here -

£93 front, £58 rear. Comes to roughly £200 in parts with their current discount.

Strut top mounts not inc discount are £33 ea.

- Click Here -

For an amateur mechanic like me the front shocks are likely an hour each, and the rears 45mins each (probably at a guess given other cars I've worked on), guessing 3 hours for a garage.

3hrs @ £70 hour + discounted parts is approx £500 (inc top mounts), is this anywhere near the quote +/- £100?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member