or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

62 plate C4 Picasso with electronic handbrake and no release button - brake pad renewal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
jblogs   
Fri Oct 27 2017, 08:59am
Member No: #49736
I am about to replace the rear brake pads which I have found a suitable post for but there is still a question about releasing the automatic handbrake first. I note in the handbook there is an emergency release mechanism under the left hand seat and you use a tool supplied in the tool box to pierce a small plug and then wind the tool clockwise to release the electronic handbrake. It says you have to go to a workshop to get the plug replaced but I assume if I use common sense I can plug this small hole with a pen top or something similar to prevent ingress of moisture or grit. Has anyone else used this method when changing the rear pads and is there anything else I should be aware of with this method?

Thanks
rusky   
Sat Oct 28 2017, 04:59am
Member No: #27768
It's my understanding that you also need diagbox to reset the handbrake when using the emergency release.

Can you not release the handbrake using the lever like on the older C4GP? Turn the ignition on, press the brake pedal then release the handbrake.

Just be aware that if the handbrake is automatic, it will re-engage when you turn the ignition off so be careful when you have everything apart!
jblogs   
Sat Oct 28 2017, 02:46pm
Member No: #49736
thanks for the reply. Unfortunately no lever on this model. The handbook says the handbrake reinitialises itself when the ignition is switched of and on again but probably no harm in leaving ignition on whilst doing the job providing the engine is not running.
routemaster1   
Sat Oct 28 2017, 03:14pm
Member No: #574
jblogs wrote ...

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately no lever on this model. The handbook says the handbrake reinitialises itself when the ignition is switched of and on again but probably no harm in leaving ignition on whilst doing the job providing the engine is not running.

Are you sure? The pre 2013 Picasso and Grand both had a lever/switch/button, and so does the newer version. Well, all of mine did/have! The switch in the middle of the dash applies the parking brake, and will switch it off when you put your foot on the footbrake and pull the switch. The new version works in the same way but you have to push the switch (hope I've got that right)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member