or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Replacing rear brake discs and pads on 2013 onward Picasso

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
everest54321   
Wed Oct 25 2017, 08:51am
Member No: #47847
I'm planning to replace the rear brake discs and pads on my Picasso MK2 (2013 onward).

I've joined c4owners premier membership and found this gives me access to a workshop document for the brakes, and also document showing what torque values to use. These are very helpful, but the guide is lacking some details I would prefer to find out before I start the job.

The guide describes use of FACOM DF6A type pliers or equivalent to push in the calipers. However it does not say if the calipers need to be rotated clockwise, or anticlockwise whilst doing this, or if they push straight in (it is an electric hand brake). I can't find this facom pliers tool anywhere. Any idea what other caliper rewind tool will work with this model of vehicle? How about a cheap one off ebay, do I need both clockwise and anticlockwise?

From the diagrams in the guide it looks like a torx socket is required to open the brake calipers (instead of a torx bit used with earlier models). What size torx socket is needed?

The guide states the the diags tool is need to put the rear motorised brake caliper actuator in the removal position. I can get access to one of these, but is there an easier way?

Anyone done this job on a 2013 onward Picasso? Would appreciate advice, and answers to any of the above questions.

Cheers
duxster   
Mon Oct 30 2017, 12:07pm
Member No: #49708
Hi. Also interested in this. Did you manage to change yours? I have all the tools needed and can deactivate the electronic hand brake. The question i have is do you need to do anything special with the electronic hand brake once the new pads are fitted or will they wind themselves up just like normal brakes.

The wind back tools you need are handed for the C4GP mk2. You can get them on ebay for about £12 for a set.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob
johntech   
Wed Nov 15 2017, 04:35pm
Member No: #37957
Hello
Yes, nobody seems to have the answer to this simple question !
Has anyone changed the rear pads without access to a Citroen computer ?
And if so how. Is there a simple electronic brake tool that will do the job I believe there is for VW.
I find it very frustrating that that such a simple task has become an expensive dealer only job.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Best Wishes John
Duck999   
Thu Nov 16 2017, 06:01am
Member No: #48434
johntech wrote ...

Hello
Yes, nobody seems to have the answer to this simple question !
Has anyone changed the rear pads without access to a Citroen computer ?
And if so how. Is there a simple electronic brake tool that will do the job I believe there is for VW.
I find it very frustrating that that such a simple task has become an expensive dealer only job.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Best Wishes John

I had my rear brakes checked by my local mechanic. He didn't know how to release the electronic handbrake without resorting to some external device. After fiddling with my GP for a little while I found a way.

Here is how.

1. Press the Start/stop button WITHOUT holding the brakes. This will switch on all the car's electronic equipment without igniting the engine.

2. Safety precaution: make sure your car isn't on a slope or have some means (e.g. brick in from of wheel?) of preventing the car from rolling!

2. Now step onto the brake and LIFT or PULL BACK the electronic brake button (the center "P" button). Your brakes are now disengaged!

Disclaimer:
I DON'T know what happens if at this point you turn off the battery by pressing the Start/stop button again. But when I let my mechanic do work on the rear brakes I left the power on and he spent at least 30 mins on them without any sudden re-engaging of the brakes - which could snap off your fingers or crush your hand

gc2318   
Tue Jun 25 2019, 02:21pm
Member No: #41283
Hi

I have a B78 GP and I need to replace the rear Brake Pads but I am not sure from the above posts how to retract the calipers and replace the pad and take up the slack

I have figured out how to disengage the hand brake but once this is done what are the following steps to replace the pads

also I guess this can be done without diagbox ?

if anyone has a Step by step guide that would be fab

Grant
kyojitsu   
Thu Oct 01 2020, 07:40am
Member No: #40171
Resurrecting an old thread but thought people might find this link useful as it's a complete walkthrough which I plan on using soon:

- Click Here -

Hope it's useful to someone.
PGeorge   
Thu Jan 14 2021, 01:08pm
Member No: #52688
Let engine idle with brake released. Can then wind back caliper with no risk of fingers getting hurt when power times out.
vexorg   
Fri Jan 15 2021, 04:21am
Member No: #48843
On the DS4, with rear wheels in the air, release the handbrake manually, dont start the engine as it'll apply the handbrake when you switch off.

Standard rewind tool, new discs and pads, pumped the pedal to take up the slack, and electronic handbrake worked as before. Still does a few years later.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member