or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Speeding in Europe

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 06:30am
Member No: #574
I have had my licence for 47 years and I have never had any issues in the UK. I did get an on-the-spot fine in Austria inthe late 90s, which was 300 schillings, ~£15.

It has all changed this year. In Austria I was caught doing 64kph in a 50kph limit, one of those where you slow down coming into the limit, and I didn't slow quickly enough. Rather harsh, I thpought, but the fine was only 20 Euros and the policeman was very apologetic.

This morning, in the post, I received notification from the German authorities in Garmisch-Partenkirchen that I had been photographed speeding on 5th August exceeding the 50kph speed limit by 6kph (They only allow 3kph, less than 2mph tolerance). I can't deny it was me, as my photo was in the documentation. The fine is only 15 Euros.

It is interesting in both of these offences that the fines are considerably smaller than the consequences of speeding in the UK, in that here the fine would be huge and I would get 6 points on my license, but would I actually get fined for these speeds. Also, as a foreign national, do I get treated differently to a German or Austrian caught in the same way.

Another thing is that I was not aware that foreign authorities could or would bother to enforce this type of offence, And how would we in Britain deal with a German or Austrian caught by a speed camera.

So the question is, should I pay it. I wonder what the consequences would be if I ddn't pay. Interesing that you can only pay by credit card, no debit card, and there is an additional 5 Euros for that.

And why are the DVLA supplying them with my delails. Do we get info from Europe as well.
Magistrate   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 08:50am
Member No: #1731
All I could find was this
- Click Here -

though there is no comment re the UK complying with the EEC ruling from May 17. For the small fine imposed worrying about the consequences of non payment not really worth the bother.
BigJohnD   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 09:44am

Member No: #82
It's possible some kind of European Debt Collection Warrant could be issued. If so, you could find all the costs become your responsibility.

I had a dispute in Italy with a car hire company and was issued with one. The charges almost doubled the (disputed) amount, and escalated when challenged, appealed against or if there were additional delays in paying. My bank advised a solicitor could help me but that would have been over £100/hr + VAT.

In the end I just paid. It's a form of blackmail which only rich can afford to argue against.
Richard_C   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 09:53am
Member No: #46470
Europe is effectively treated as one country for this sort of thing - and in many areas close to borders the border is all but invisible so I guess its almost automatic that you get fined regardless of country of residence. I doubt there is much human intervention between camera and ticket issue. Imagine the rabid headlines in certain tabloids if "Forrin" drivers were getting off speeding fines in the UK.

I also suspect that defaulting might end up as further inquiries and a flag against your passport number (DVLA has some links to Passport Office - if you apply for a photo driving licence you can tick a box to say 'use my passport photo' so there must be a link). That means if you fly in to Germany you may be stopped until you pay up. Plus your car number might go on an ANPR database and you get pulled up if you drive there again.

For the sake of the price of a few coffees and to achieve peace of mind, I would pay up promptly and be thankful its only a small amount.

BigJohnD   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 10:49am

Member No: #82
Doug was caught and paying up €15 is the best way to end it.

I travelled along a motorway in southern Portugal and passed through the electronic tolls, like the Dartford Crossing. I tried to pay retrospectively (about €2.50) but eventually discovered their ANPR couldn't read UK plates. I've never been billed or anything.
routemaster1   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 11:54am
BigJohnD wrote ...

I travelled along a motorway in southern Portugal and passed through the electronic tolls, like the Dartford Crossing. I tried to pay retrospectively (about €2.50) but eventually discovered their ANPR couldn't read UK plates. I've never been billed or anything.

I agree, I will just pay. Just a warning for others. There is a sliding scale and my fine is the smallest, but as the excess speed increases the fines go up steeply. There is talk of points, but I can't see that they can be applied to a UK licence. There is a warning that failure to pay may return to bite you on the b*m when returning in later years.
routemaster1   
Fri Sep 29 2017, 12:03pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

I agree, I will just pay. Just a warning for others. There is a sliding scale and my fine is the smallest, but as the excess speed increases the fines go up steeply. There is talk of points, but I can't see that they can be applied to a UK license. There is a warning that failure to pay may return to bite you on the b*m when returning in later years.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 BigJohnD (29 Sep 2017 : 15:14)
trev h   
Sat Sep 30 2017, 03:42am
Member No: #10864
My daughter lives in austria & getting fined for speeding is regarded as one of lifes daily hazards & you only have to be a couple of Kph over the limit to get stopped, you then have the opportunity of paying an on the spot fine or a day in jail, the only plus side is there's no points, if you're not a citizen & decide not to pay the next time you enter the country then it's bread & water for dinner.
FrankBullitt   
Sat Sep 30 2017, 05:19am

Member No: #19238
routemaster1 wrote ...
This morning, in the post, I received notification from the German authorities in Garmisch-Partenkirchen that I had been photographed speeding on 5th August exceeding the 50kph speed limit by 6kph (They only allow 3kph, less than 2mph tolerance). I can't deny it was me, as my photo was in the documentation. The fine is only 15 Euros.

It is interesting in both of these offences that the fines are considerably smaller than the consequences of speeding in the UK, in that here the fine would be huge and I would get 6 points on my license, but would I actually get fined for these speeds. Also, as a foreign national, do I get treated differently to a German or Austrian caught in the same way.

It's an interesting thought though that rather than 10% plus 3mph before any action if at, say, 2mph over the limit you get a fine - it would probably make most people concentrate more on their speed, I know lots of people who drive around town at an indicated 37mph well aware they won't get 'done' as their car is probably doing 35mph and they work in 30+10%+3.

I have been flashed twice in France now but no ensuing issues - the first time I went trough a camera on the autoroute at 130km/h but had the roofbox on - I assume that it is set for height but once somebody checked it they realised I was able to do this speed. This year I got flashed in a 110km/h limit doing a genuine 100km/h but towing the caravan - they must have checked my cars details as towing in France has a limit of 90km/h if your GTW is over 3500kg but under this the same limits as solo car apply - my car was a GTW of 3185kg which means that if I wanted to I could drive at 130km/h with the caravan on the back!
routemaster1   
Sat Sep 30 2017, 06:42am
FrankBullitt wrote ...

routemaster1 wrote ...

It's an interesting thought though that rather than 10% plus 3mph before any action if at, say, 2mph over the limit you get a fine - it would probably make most people concentrate more on their speed, I know lots of people who drive around town at an indicated 37mph well aware they won't get 'done' as their car is probably doing 35mph and they work in 30+10%+3.

I have been flashed twice in France now but no ensuing issues - the first time I went trough a camera on the autoroute at 130km/h but had the roofbox on - I assume that it is set for height but once somebody checked it they realised I was able to do this speed. This year I got flashed in a 110km/h limit doing a genuine 100km/h but towing the caravan - they must have checked my cars details as towing in France has a limit of 90km/h if your GTW is over 3500kg but under this the same limits as solo car apply - my car was a GTW of 3185kg which means that if I wanted to I could drive at 130km/h with the caravan on the back!

I suppose it is not too bad if the excess allowance is small, as the consequences of being over the limit are fairly 'trivial' unless you are well over the limit. Unlike here, where if you are caught the consequences will cost a significant amount of money and 3 points, unless you get sent on a speed awareness course, which also costs a significant amount of money.
willrose   
Mon Jan 20 2020, 01:16pm
Member No: #26456
Just to update you guy´s as I live in Germany, the law here is up to 21km´s over the limit is just a fine 10€ to 40€ over 21km the fine is heavier and points, don´t know if they would carried over to UK license, until Brexit happens I guess yes.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member