or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Is Eurotunnel still 'Fit for Purpose'.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Sun Sep 10 2017, 07:21am
Member No: #574
I have travelled to the continent by Eurotunnel every year since 1995, and frequently more than once a year. When I fisrt travelled, the trains used to travel only using alternate carriages as there wasn't enough demand to fill a train. Untl last year I don't remember any significant delays. Then there was a delay due to actions of 'illegal immigrants'.

This year we were delayed going out. The train was on time, and the queue of 3 lines of traffic started to load. However, when about half of the cars had left, the barrier close and half were left behind. It was almost like they only loaded one deck.We were put on the next train, but on that train the toilets on both floors were out of action. On walking to the next carriage with toilets, there were no cars on either level as, we were told, the fire detection system was faulty.

On the way back we were very early but couldn't get an earlier crossing. everything was fine. Until it was time for our train to be called. The there was a message basically saying there was an undefined wait. After a while we were called and went through to the final waiting area. We were in the queue for the second train, and again the first train away only seemed to be half loaded. We just got on our train as just about the last car through, so half our trainload was left.We were told it was due to a train that had 'stopped in the tunnel' but not why it stopped.

During the time we were away and after we got back my wife has monitored the twitter feed, and it seems that rarely is there less than 90 minutes delay on the French side.

So I am wondering whether anyone else has had any issues. Is it likely that the stock is getting beyong its use by date. As far as I can make out there are no plans for new stock, so it it only likely to get worse?

FrankBullitt   
Sun Sep 10 2017, 08:00am

Member No: #19238
It's a good question.

We first used it in 2008 and then annually from 2010 but not this year.

We've noticed the service has become less impressive of late but have just assumed that as we've been in school holiday periods since 2014 then it's busier. Your comment on the trains I'd agree with, it's ironic that invariably toilets aren't working when quite often it can feel like a public toilet in the carriages - they are dirty and tired. I wouldn't say that stops the service being fit for purpose but is a lack of investment in the rolling stock. Still, you are only on the train for 45 minutes start to finish typically so that doesn't bother me too much it's a means to an end.

As we go in peak periods now once booked in the process for getting you onto the train seems more fluid, I just assume you end up with a letter and hover in the car park until you are called, if you booked the 15:36 but end up in the 15:21 then so be it and likewise the 15:56 - as we've had a roofbox on since selling he Picasso (which coincides with the start of going in the school holidays) we are always on the double-height carriage and I think that both a) there is less chance to get on an earlier train and b) less chance of being messed about once you have checked in. Having said that trains do seem to get occasionally cancelled and the return train in summer 2016 was delayed for a technical fault which took half an hour to fix (whilst we were on it) and then we needed to be re-sequenced into the tunnel.

What does seem to have stepped up is French passport control (in Kent) which was always a casual wave and is now a proper job and again coming back to the UK French customs spend much more one in each car and this very much slows it down - it took us about an hour and a half last October half term to get from the check-in to passport control which is about 4-500 metres - it was utter carnage!

I guess we just assume that at peak periods the service is under pressure. We were supposed to come back via EuroTunnel this year but came back via Caen instead - more on this to follow...
routemaster1   
Sun Sep 10 2017, 09:50am
Our journey ot was on a Tuesday morning ~7.00, the return was on a Thursday at ~17.30, certainly not as busy as I have seen it on a Saturday afternoon at the end of school holidays. I fully understand the need for the added security we have seen over the years. My main issue is the continual delays. It is 30 minutes today, due to an earlier cancellation.
Richard_C   
Sun Sep 10 2017, 02:08pm
Member No: #46470
It's still the 'least bad' way to cross the channel in my view. Loading etc is pretty slick and once you are off at either end its magically fast to get on the autoroute/motorway network. I've been using it on an off since it opened, sometimes once or none, just about to make my 4th trip this year.

The rolling stock is suffering - they did a refurb about 10 years ago (including horrid vinyl picture wallpaper in the toilets), often toilets are out of use and sometimes the aircon breaks. I don't like the way they force you into the terminal carparks now. A crude attempt to sell you stuff. But overall the staff do a decent job - must be horrid standing in all weathers waving cars into lanes and all you get is stick if there are delays and never smiles and waves if it goes well.

I have had delays, but rarely more than a departures-worth and never more than an hour, perhaps I have been lucky. They are very good at spreading the pain so you do go off in the right 'booked' order with little or no queue jumping. And you have a comfy car to sit in while you wait, book, flask, things to eat. Compare that with the Ryanair pre boarding queue snaking around outside the terminal in front of an empty stand which you hope will fill up with a 737-800 before you freeze to the spot.

Remember they share the lines with Eurostar so have slots (that explains the odd timetabling with generally 10 - 20 mins between trains than a bigger gap). So to keep the slots trains must go on time, if there is a boarding delay I suspect they get it away regardless even if it is only half full.

The delays might appear worse from the French side - you might be right or it that might just be our perception. There are crossings all night, albeit less frequent, so they can play catch up - unless the have a major problem they start the day 'on time'. I once crossed very late at night midweek midwinter (as booked) and was one of 8 vehicles on the train. The end of the day is the sum of the cumulative delays. I guess we go out early and come back late - especially on short breaks - so we see the end of day picture from the French end - I wonder if French users think it is the other way around? I used to fly regularly (for work) via Amsterdam and the end of day return with KLM to Stansted was invariably 1-2 hours late - an off duty pilot in the next seat to me once explained the routes they fly around Europe and the short turnarounds - the last flight home delay was the sum of all the 5 - 10 minutes hold ups that aircraft had suffered between 6 am and 10 pm that day.

Coming home, the Dartford Tunnel can hold you up a lot longer than Eurotunnel, at any time of day or night and they don't have to run trains.

So - Eurotunnel, still OK in my book though not perhaps at its best. Bedraggled, not broken.

Richard_C   
Mon Sep 11 2017, 02:30am
Just noticed - it was a Eurostar train broke down on Saturday and blocked the line, not a Eurotunnel shuttle so not much they could do about that.
routemaster1   
Mon Sep 11 2017, 03:06am
Richard_C wrote ...

Just noticed - it was a Eurostar train broke down on Saturday and blocked the line, not a Eurotunnel shuttle so not much they could do about that.

As the services started around the same time, most of the Eurostar trains are much the same age as the shuttles, although there are some fairly new ones.
FrankBullitt   
Mon Sep 11 2017, 03:26am

This summer we took a western crossing via Portsmouth on Brittany Ferries to Caen, our rationale was that towing from Calais to Les Sables would need an overnight stop and we fancied a change. The crossing was overnight (in order to make the most of moving whilst sleeping) and in many respects was fantastic although in itself it had limitations

Firstly cost, Eurotunnel is free to us (on Tesco vouchers) this was £440 including the cabin. The crossing was at 22:45 so we ended up setting off early afternoon in just in case of delays on the M25 or A3, as it was we got there very early with no chance to hop on an earlier boat - we were the third vehicle there.

Once booked through we seemed to wait around for hours (well, that's what it was to be honest, hours!) and as the boat was delayed half an hour in turning around we ended up getting on at 23:10, the last but two vehicles on the thing with only another car and caravan behind us and then a minibus behind. An exhausted FB Junior eventually got to bed at about half 23:30. I know it's chance to a degree but I expected to be on at about 22:00. The music comes on at 05:30 (U.K. time) the sight of an 8 year old writhing around demanding it be turned off made us laugh after years of being woken up by him at 04:30! Pay back.

Getting off etc was a piece of duff but to be honest it was very expensive and wanting to give ourselves time meant we didn't really gain anything. Next year we will do that same as previous (Eurtunnel) setting off at 04:00 in order to get into France for about 10:00 and then stop somewhere between Rouen and Le Mans - it's all part of the holiday and it will be cheaper, Peage and diesel included. We will be travelling Monday morning so it shouldn't be too busy.

I'll take the convenience of the Eurotunnel despite the at-times dubious service and less than clean trains to save a fortune and have the flexibility of the crossing.
BigJohnD   
Mon Sep 18 2017, 07:15am

Member No: #82
I've used the Tunnel (with car) twice, and found it very unsatisfactory. All four journeys had delays, one of around 4 hours.

It's not particularly inspiring travelling through the tunnel and the toilets do leave a lot to be desired.

We travel by ship now, Portsmouth-Caen or Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, and enjoy sitting in the restaurant and the fresh air.

Being from up North, we're about to book Hull-Zeebrugge for our next visit.
routemaster1   
Mon Sep 18 2017, 09:54am
Despite some of the issues that have occurred, I wouldn't abandon Eurotunnel. Despite the issue with the toilet, there are others available. At the terminal, in the queue for the train, and on the Calais side, in the petrol station. There is a petrol station on return, but I don't know whether there is a toilet there. There are, I believe, 8 toilets in the double deck part of the train. They aren't great but usually they suffice.

The plus for me is that the total time from commencing loading to getting off at the other end is only just over 1 hour. I am not a fan of ferries, 6 hours Portsmouth-Caen is my idea of hell. And if you miss it you are stuffed. Also, we are usually travelling to Eastern France/Belgium/Germany, so the tunnel is quite convenient for me.
BigJohnD   
Wed Sep 20 2017, 06:18am

routemaster1 wrote ...

6 hours Portsmouth-Caen is my idea of hell. And if you miss it you are stuffed.

I agree, missing a ferry on that route could mean waiting up to 24hr for the next one. I travelled from Caen (Ouistreham) to Portsmouth earlier this year. We did it overnight and slept after a nice dinner! We arrived in Portsmouth about 8am and went for breakfast. Very civilised IMHO.

BTW, my son goes to Bruxelles by Eurostar from St Pancras twice a month and says the views from the window are much better in France and Belgium than in SE England where the train is either in a tunnel or a cutting. What he really means is the train's wi-fi/internet works better on the continent than in England!
Richard_C   
Wed Sep 27 2017, 05:40am
Just back from a trip using Eurotunnel. Arrived mid morning on a weekday, earlier than check in time, machine offered me an earlier crossing, went straight through and had maybe 5 minutes in line before boarding. Excellent.

Return trip mid evening Monday - arrived in good time, offered earlier crossing - bit of huff and puff for the French Douanes who looked to be on security alert sniffing every car - then straight through. In fact scarily so, no cars in front, barriers up, green lights on so just drove straight to the train where a waving person waved me on.

AND the toilets on train were working AND the on train staff were remarkably cheery.

So yes - it has its bad days but when it's working well it's brilliant.
1 User said Thank You to Richard_C for this Post :
 BigJohnD (27 Sep 2017 : 16:31)
matjam   
Thu Sep 28 2017, 10:18am
Member No: #47314
We travelled by Eurotunnel earlier in the year (Aug).
We arrived in good time in Folkstone so had a mooch around the Duty Free etc and use the toilets. We've never used the toilets on board the train so can't comment on them.
From what I recall we were put on an earlier train.
Nothing of note in the way of delays.

Coming back was slightly different. A lot longer queuing through French border control. Maybe 30 mins to go the few hundred meters.
There was a delay in calling our train, and the display screens seemed to be not working. There was a woman wandering around the car park telling people to board.
It was nice but ultimately not very useful to receive text messages from them stating that I was travelling at a busy period. Yup, that'll be the summer holidays!

All in all, not too bad and much, much more preferable to flying with the 100ml little plastic bag, take off your belt and shoes, 'Simon says put your finger on your nose' restrictions that do my head in.

And has already been stated - it's the northbound Dartford crossing which is the main hold up. If anyone knows the most cunning way of navigating that, please let me know!
routemaster1   
Thu Sep 28 2017, 10:37am
You may want to go round the south of the M25 then up the M40. It is further, but may be clearer. Depends on day and time. Queue on the French side seem to be quite normal at the dates and times we travel, which was at May half term and during late July-Mid August. Saturday at the end of half term is about the worst I have seen, but this year we were badly delayed on a Tuesday morning on the way out, and Tuesday on the way back. Luckily we will not have to travel half-term next year, but we will still go in July-August.
BigJohnD   
Thu Sep 28 2017, 10:47am

When we drove back from Portugal last year, there were much increased security checks when entering France from Spain and before boarding in Calais for Dover, creating very long queues.

The motorway tool booths were used to stop the traffic so armed soldiers could check vehicles. They also entered caravans and RVs.

We're going Hull-Zeebrugge-Hull next month - anyone know if the Belgians have cranked up security?

(We too are sick of the M25 and the associated linked motorways. We'll probably go via M56, Woodhead and M18 to Hull to avoid the M62 around north Manchester.)
FrankBullitt   
Thu Sep 28 2017, 03:23pm

matjam wrote ...
And has already been stated - it's the northbound Dartford crossing which is the main hold up. If anyone knows the most cunning way of navigating that, please let me know!

In summer 2016 we came back on a Friday in August and were destined to hit the M25 at about 5pm, Mrs FB drove and I navigated (she can't read a map to save her life!) - we dropped off the M20 at Maidstone, took the A229 to the M2 then drove around the back (North) of Bluewater though the edge of Greenhithe and dropped back on to the A282 (Dartford Crossing) where the M25 ends briefly, it took about 5 minutes to get on to the main road but the rest of the trip was fairly plain sailing.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member