or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Headlights adjusting from under the bonnet

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Nagaman   
Thu Aug 03 2017, 01:35am
Member No: #49032
The thumb wheel won't give me enough 'up' adjustment, so I have to tackle it from under the bonnet I guess. Has anyone done it before ?.
Ta
Dave
Richard_C   
Thu Aug 03 2017, 03:17am
Member No: #46470
Yes, its easy.

Look down at the light fitting you will see an adjuster (sort of white plastic) which you can adjust with a cross head screwdriver - I think a #2 philips or posidrive would fit OK, easier with a fairly long shaft. That does the up/down.

At the outer edge of the fitting mid way down it you will find a forward facing hex head, I think 10mm or thereabouts, which does the left/right.

When I did mine I turned the vertical a few full turns and thought maybe it was broken, but after a bit there was some tension and the adjustment began to work. When it is in its proper range you should feel some resistance. I suspect the adjusters are left slack in the factory and it was never done at all on pre delivery inspection and stayed like that until I bought it - maybe the first owner never went out in the dark.

I carried the screwdriver in the door pocket for a bit and kept fiddling with it until I had it about right - will probably get it checked as an extra at next service.

Even properly adjusted they are disappointing particularly on dipped beam. A (dim) stylist decided (dim) grey smoked headlight lenses would be a good idea. I fitted Philips 130 bulbs but even then my old C1 is loads brighter on country roads with its aged standard bulbs.

2 User said Thank You to Richard_C for this Post :
 Nagaman (05 Aug 2017 : 00:11) , maldin (02 Nov 2017 : 02:52)
cluettp   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 11:30am
Member No: #16964
I know this is an old thread, but any chance you could take a picture of the required adjusters?

I had a look but couldn't see which ones you mentioned.

BTW I have a 66 model Flair.

Thanks very much
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 12:56pm
Member No: #574
cluettp wrote ...

I know this is an old thread, but any chance you could take a picture of the required adjusters?

I had a look but couldn't see which ones you mentioned.

BTW I have a 66 model Flair.

Thanks very much

Do you have halogen or xenon lights? Not sure if it makes any difference though!
Richard_C   
Thu Jan 10 2019, 04:04pm
Member No: #46470
It will make a difference.

Can't post pictures here unless I pay and not going to pay or faff about with other sites. Sorry, its the site policy.

Mine are halogen, not Xenon. 65 plate Excl +. Might be different. The vertical adjusters are pretty obvious, a sort of white nylon/plastic knurled adjuster with a cross head screwdriver slot in the middle. One on each lamp, set high up on the lamp housing so easy to see looking down with the bonnet open. No need to take any covers off or open the lamp housing.

Horizontal adjusters are tucked away each side, but equally easy to find if you peer toward the wing.

If you have xenons maybe someone else can help.
Knotty   
Fri Jan 11 2019, 05:51pm
Member No: #52722
There is a guide on here which has a rough picture of the rear of the lights, I used the same method to adjust my 2014 model headlights after I upgraded to phillips 150 racing bulbs and the difference was amazing, I literally went from 8-10 feet vision (which was fully dipped in my old VW passat) up to about 30+ feet.
The verticle adjustment screw on mine is a grey circle with a 6mm hex hole in it and as mentioned it took a lot of turning as I thought it wasn't working initially. I did it by taking a rough measurement at night, putting the lights on during the day and standing with my leg in front of the light then watching the light beam as I turned it to raise it around 1 inch or just a little more initially (which turned out to still be too low) and then do the same again after testing at night.
cluettp   
Sat Jan 12 2019, 11:33am
I'll have a look at my Flair model in the morning to see if I have a white or grey adjuster. My lights are halogen.

Coming back on the motorway at night I realised how much I was missing even with the control set at 0.

I'll report back.

Knotty - any idea has to what to search for to see the guide you mention?
iscom   
Sat Jan 12 2019, 12:14pm
Member No: #20936
I was surprised to find the height control is not illuminated which is hard to find in the dark I have the xenon lights which seems to automatically reset each time I start the car with the Icon telling you they are re-adjusting
cluettp   
Sun Jan 13 2019, 10:40am
I had a look this afternoon. Didn't see any sort of screw of hex bolt. Took off the rubber protector covering the bulb and got someone to change the internal thumbscrew from 0 to 3 and back. Saw and heard the back of the bulb move but couldn't see the mechanism doing it. I guess the 2016 models must hide the control system within the body of the headlight unit?

Anyone got any ideas?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member