or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Diesel Particle Filter - additive cleaner?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
danlat1415   
Wed Jul 26 2017, 08:13am
Member No: #48933
I'm new to these fairly modern diesel cars with particle filters.
I know you have to occasionally driver at least 20 minutes at over 50mph for the filter to burn off the soot and clean itself.

Has anyone used, or can recommend a fuel additive particle cleaner such as;
Wynns Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner 325 ml.

I just wondered if it's worth adding one of these to my fuel tank, as we normally drive short journeys - so it could be an issue with needing specific journeys to clean it.
gmerry   
Thu Jul 27 2017, 02:48am
Member No: #11625
PSA diesel particle filter (DPF) systems are very robust and well engineered: if the engine is in good condition, no need to add any additive. The car already has an additive system that catalyses the particle combustion to a lower ignition temperature.
No need for special high speed runs either. Most of the stuff in the press is complete mis-information, or does not relate to PSA system.

If you are worried, get the car booked in for a Diagbox interrogation session, say every year (or every 6 months) to check all engine and emission parameters (No this won't automatically happen as part of a service).

regards
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 danlat1415 (27 Jul 2017 : 05:43)
BigJohnD   
Thu Jul 27 2017, 01:14pm

Member No: #82
I've never been convinced by after market additives. In fact Citroen recommend you don't use any.

If your DPF is clogged up, a can of proprietary detergent/solvent poured in via the fuel tank is unlikely to do much. It may have some preventative value but that's hard to prove especially as it's not really needed.

Just drive and enjoy!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member