or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Turbo Diesel Maintenance

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
bigstan   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 12:36pm
Member No: #18724
1.6 HDI VTR+ 2004, 69,000.

Are Citroen diesels prone to a slight turbo whine/whistle?

Ive read a few threads on here about the various turbo problems and my noise doesnt seem to be as bad as some of the problems, just a slightly higher whine than the ford and peugeot diesels that Ive had previously.

With this in mind, is there any type of extra care we can take e.g. cleaning, that we can do to prevent problems?

(Obviously other than correct servicing and oil types)
PentlandC4   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 02:07pm
Member No: #13613
Always let your turbo cool down at the end of a trip would be one tip. For example, if you've pulled into motorway services, letting the engine idle for a couple of minutes will help. It's to do with letting the bearings cool down and avoiding 'carbonising' the oil.
love2drive   
Sat Nov 14 2015, 10:55am
Member No: #42287
PentlandC4 wrote ...

Always let your turbo cool down at the end of a trip would be one tip. For example, if you've pulled into motorway services, letting the engine idle for a couple of minutes will help. It's to do with letting the bearings cool down and avoiding 'carbonising' the oil.

What about the short trip like 7/8 minutes drive in 30mph. Do we still need to wait couple of minutes to stop the engine?
routemaster1   
Sat Nov 14 2015, 11:13am
Member No: #574
Personally, I wouldn't bother unless I'd been belting down a German Autobahn at 90 or more. And even then, slowing down and parking would probably be enough low speed to cool the turbo. The advice really applies to tuned petrol cars, like early Renault 5 turbos and Subaru Impezas.
wa822   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 05:18pm
Member No: #11198
Hi folks,
I am sad to say that my lovely 2.0hdi 57 plate with the glass roof has gone to the breakers😥
If your HDI suddenly makes a lot of smoke and a chuffing noise together with a tendency to run faster than idle STOP! and call a breakdown service.
One of the injectors stuck open, so limping 5 miles back home put 4 litres of diesel into the sump and ruined the engine after only 112000. I have owned two cars past 180000 miles previously.
Yes the engine had NINE litres in the sump. It's toast, probably with holes in the pistons.
My error, be warned, or better still change the injectors at 100000 miles!
BigJohnD   
Sat Jul 15 2017, 05:16am

Member No: #82
Turbo overrun - sadly fairly common with the 2.0HDi. Happened to my bro-in-law with his Peugeot. Commiserations.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member