or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

2012 Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 Petrol 7 seater advice

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
timnor   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 01:21am
Member No: #47510
First I should apologise for being a lazy boy ! I have had a quick search through the forums but still wanted to ask about this specific model.

We have just sold a VW Touran 2.0 diesel which was a nightmare and a bank robber during the time we owned it. First a cylinder head then the DPF was a nightmare and finally the gearbox gave up the ghost and now I am catching the bus !

After that experience we are really after a car that we can rely on. We are a family of 4. I've seen a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Selection , 120 PS 06/2012 only 54,000 KM for 8 K€ at our local garage. One previous owner and full service history. I'm interested if this is considered a good and reliable model ? I am especially worried about the 1.6 petrol engine. I'm not a speedster but is this adequate for such a big car ? We would usually have gone for a diesel but this offer seems fair and we're desperate for a car !

I would be most grateful for any thoughts, tips or comments you may have.
TriumphGuy   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 01:49am
Member No: #47272
I doubt that a 1.6 petrol engine would be adequate. The 1.6 petrol in a Xsara Picasso is barely adequate (I had a Xsara Picasso with the 1.8 petrol engine). Are you sure that it is a 1.6 petrol? As far as I'm aware, the Grand Picasso was not available with a 1.6 petrol engine. I suspect that it might be the 1.6 HDi which is the diesel.
1 User said Thank You to TriumphGuy for this Post :
 timnor (08 Feb 2017 : 02:53)
rusky   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 02:02am
Member No: #27768
As long as it has been regularly maintained then they are just as reliable as other makes.

I have an older 1.6 & it's not sluggish.
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
routemaster1   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 02:18am
Member No: #574
rusky wrote ...

As long as it has been regularly maintained then they are just as reliable as other makes.

The OP is interested in petrol, not diesel.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
timnor   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 02:57am
routemaster1 wrote ...

rusky wrote ...

The OP is interested in petrol, not diesel.

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated. I checked again and the Grand Picasso we are looking at today has the 1.6 (BMW) petrol engine. This is the only thing that worries me. Is the motor sluggish ? This is a long heavy 7 seater. Does the 1.6 offer enough power ? There seem to be so few petrol engine models on sale here. I had hoped someone here had the same model and could comment ?
FrankBullitt   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 03:24am

Member No: #19238
TriumphGuy wrote ...
Are you sure that it is a 1.6 petrol? As far as I'm aware, the Grand Picasso was not available with a 1.6 petrol engine. I suspect that it might be the 1.6 HDi which is the diesel.

It will be, yes, the original C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso could be had with the 1.6 naturally aspirated 'Prince' engine with 120bhp; this replaced the earlier 1.8 petrol when the C4P/GP were introduced.
I think you need to drive it to be honest, you will get varying opinions on how 'good' this engine is but I've tried it in two cars (DS3 and Pug 2008) and found it perfectly reasonable (sweet, tractable and refined) in both cases but, of course, they are much smaller cars.

I'd suggest you drive it and decide if it works for you - if you often drive up hills and regularly need to change speed quickly (i.e. joining fast roads) then you might struggle but if much of your driving is around town or at a reasonably continuous speed it will be fine.
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 timnor (08 Feb 2017 : 04:29)
gittos   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 05:02am
Member No: #30055
I've had a 1.6 petrol C4 Pic (not the Grand) and the petrol engine was just fine, enough power and reasonably economical
timnor   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 11:53am
Thanks again for the feedback. I test drove the C4 today. It's not going to win any races but wasn't too sluggish. More of a cool cruiser. I think I might go for it !
TriumphGuy   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 12:57pm
FB, it has a bit more power that the 1.6 HDi so it might not struggle as much as I thought. My partner's son has a 2014 Astra with a 1.4 petrol engine which is gutless even though it had similar power to the 1.6 that was in my MK4 Astra. It sounds like it has been looked after and the total KMs are below average (54,000km equates to 33750 miles) so it sounds like it is worth a punt. What transmission does it have? Most of the UK cars has the 6-speed EGS semi auto. If you decide to go for it, you've come to the best place for help and advice.
timnor   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 01:26pm
TriumphGuy wrote ...

FB, it has a bit more power that the 1.6 HDi so it might not struggle as much as I thought. My partner's son has a 2014 Astra with a 1.4 petrol engine which is gutless even though it had similar power to the 1.6 that was in my MK4 Astra. It sounds like it has been looked after and the total KMs are below average (54,000km equates to 33750 miles) so it sounds like it is worth a punt. What transmission does it have? Most of the UK cars has the 6-speed EGS semi auto. If you decide to go for it, you've come to the best place for help and advice.

Thanks. I bought it ! Tendance model. It has a 5 gear manual gearbox. No EGS. New MOT (two years here). Also has lovely cream seating and panels. I hope this proves to be more reliable than our Touran was ! Now I need to look for replacement plastic mats for front and back. Is there a recommended plastic boot tray ?
FrankBullitt   
Wed Feb 08 2017, 01:58pm

Member No: #19238
TriumphGuy wrote ...

FB, it has a bit more power that the 1.6 HDi so it might not struggle as much as I thought.

The problem is, that's all at about 6000rpm - you'll feel the benefit somewhere near the red line but where most people drive the lack of low down torque would probably be more of an issue on a daily basis.

The 1.6VTi (as it was called) only came with the 5-speed manual, the 1.6THP (turbo) could be had with either EGS (150 or 155bhp) or a traditional slusher auto (140bhp)
TriumphGuy   
Thu Feb 09 2017, 02:00am
It should be fine as long as you're not travelling with a full load of passengers or towing. That's why I went for the 2.0 HDi. I needed something that could pull my caravan.
timnor   
Tue Feb 14 2017, 01:13pm
So I've driven the new car for a few days. The motor is a little weak accelerating compared to my old 2.0 diesel Touran but apart from that all is fine. Handles fine, is fast enough. Generally I'm happy.

One odd thing happened today though. I drove home and was checking the in car heating which I turned up. I thought there was a slight electrical / plastic smell. Wasn't sure if this was just a smell from outside the car. Once home I lifted the bonnet and was quite surprised how warm the engine was. In particular the area covered by a light silver metal cover in front of the engine. This was too hot to touch after 30 mins relatively fast driving. Perhaps I'm paranoid but is this normal ?

The engine can be seen here with the area I mean near and to the left of the bonnet lock

- Click Here -

KenC   
Tue Feb 14 2017, 04:15pm
Member No: #18024
That's the heat shield for the exhaust
1 User said Thank You to KenC for this Post :
 timnor (15 Feb 2017 : 01:24)
timnor   
Wed Feb 15 2017, 01:25am
KenC wrote ...

That's the heat shield for the exhaust

Ah ok so normal that it's so hot I guess ?
Cheers
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member