or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

C3 1.6HDi woe!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Sat Mar 25 2017, 10:09am
Member No: #574
Although we do not cover C3s on this site, I have posted this because the 1.6 HDi engine is very similar to those fitted to the C4 and C4P.

Yesterday evening we got a call from our younger daughter, who had broken down in the C3. She said it was juddering, two warning lights came on, and it wouldn't clime the next fairly gentle hill at more than 40mph. When I got there, it started fine, but there was a message saying 'Engine Fault, please repair' or similar, and the engine management warning light was on. It seemed to tick over OK, so I drove it the 3 miles home. It seemed to perform as it should, apart from the warning.

So after discussion, I decided to take it first thing to the local agent to see what was wrong. They were kind enough to take it into the workshop and do a diagnostic on it (no charge). When I went to pick it up, they told me that it needed new injectors and a raft of other new parts. When I asked the cost it was in excess of £2000. I was also told it shouldn't be driven.
So the car is at the agent until Monday. As I have taken out the Citroen Extended Warranty I am hoping (no, I am expecting) the repairs to be covered.
It is frustrating, and I hope it doesn't mean buying a replacement car as I have recently spent a lot on new rear brakes and front bushes (nearly £700) and a full set of Michelins.
gmerry   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 02:24am
Member No: #11625
A replacement engine from a low mileage crash damaged care would be cheaper (possibly better too).

regards
routemaster1   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 02:46am
gmerry wrote ...

A replacement engine from a low mileage crash damaged care would be cheaper (possibly better too).

regards

Maybe, but it is a rare (for a C3) 110bhp engine, and it may not be easy to replace with a lower power version. Anyway, I'm off to the agents this morning and I am expecting it to be sorted by my extended Citroen warranty. Will post later.
FrankBullitt   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 05:44am

Member No: #19238
Thankfully you have a warranty, assuming it's the Citroën one it is to original specification so you will be fine!
routemaster1   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 08:10am
FrankBullitt wrote ...

Thankfully you have a warranty, assuming it's the Citroën one it is to original specification so you will be fine!

Yes it is a Citroen warranty. When I took it out I was worried that there might be a future turbo problem but this is injectors. Apparently the warranty will only cover the faulty injector but the agents want to replace all 4 and a host of other bits which may or may not be covered by goodwill.
Anyway the latest I've heard is that a field engineer will be inspecting in the next 24 hours!
FrankBullitt   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 10:52am

Member No: #19238
I can see why they would want to replace all 4 as that means it's a clean sheet from here on in but in reality if only one has gone then that's what needs doing - the warranty will pay for all the bits that need to be done as part of the work
DCB   
Mon Mar 27 2017, 11:14am
Member No: #47899
Sounds very much like an issue I had with a C5 a few years back. First thing to get changed was the fuel filter, that change made all the difference. Whilst a diagnostic report said there may still be an issue with an injector, it didn't actually cause any further issues. Worked fine for another year until I traded it in.
routemaster1   
Tue Mar 28 2017, 12:04pm
So, despite being told at 13.00 yesterday that a field engineer would be inspecting the car within the next 24 hours, I'm now told that he/she will not be attending until tomorrow. It seems unlikely that the work will start this week, and they don't seem willing to let me have a loan car. It means that I will have to insure my daughter for another week on our red C3, and I may have to hire a car over the weekend, with precious little chance of being reimbursed.
routemaster1   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 01:51pm
Got it back today. They had originally wanted to replace all 4 injectors plus other odds and ends. The warranty company would not authorise the repairs as they need to inspect any repairs estimated at over £1000. On inspection it was decided to replace only injector 1, and they insisted on replacing some kind of audio cover (which I still don't understand), and they would not cover that. So the repair cost me ~ £180.

As I said before, although this is a C3, which is not covered, it is an indication of how a Citroen warranty works for HDi issues.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member