or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

New VED bands and second hand vehicles

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Richard_C   
Fri Mar 24 2017, 10:34am
Member No: #46470
The new more expensive VED bands will apply to cars first registered on or after 1 April 2017, in a few days time.

My local Citroen dealer is sending out emails which imply that new AND used cars sold after 1 April will attract the new rate - if that is correct, if I have a £20 tax car and sell it on the new owner will have to pay the new rates, or if I buy a pre owned car it will cost me more in VED even if it was first registered before 1 April 17.

My understanding is different, it is/was that the old bands/payments will be unchanged for vehicles registered before that date - the old rate lives on with the vehicle regardless of ownership changes.

So - either the dealer had made a genuine error, is being economical with the truth to drum up trade, or I have got it all wrong.

Comments and clarifications welcome.
neilp   
Fri Mar 24 2017, 11:08am
Member No: #3384
Best thing is to read the gov website and take it from there.
- Click Here -
It looks to me like the changes do not affect second hand cars. There might be slight changes depending on the CO2, I can't comment on that.
Biohead   
Fri Mar 24 2017, 11:15am

Member No: #6049
I was also under the impression it applies ONLY to vehicles registered from 1st April 2017, with existing registered vehicles remaining as they are (excluding any normal small increases).
Richard_C   
Fri Mar 24 2017, 12:08pm
Member No: #46470
Thanks.

I had looked at the Government website but wondered if I had missed something. Looks like we all read it the same way so the sales guys at the local dealer are 'spinning' it somewhat.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member