or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

Automatic - sport mode

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DeuxChevaux   
Wed Mar 08 2017, 02:05am
Member No: #16472
I've had my C4 hatch 1.6hdi EGS for 10 years now and think it may be time for a change soon. One of the best things about this car is its 'sport' mode. Put it on and gearchanges become almost instant while you keep the throttle floored for overtakes etc. My newer car will also be an auto or semi auto car but I would like to know if any or all the newer EAT6 or similar gearboxes have this mode.

Those of you who have one of these gearboxes can you let me know if you have or have not got this function?
DeuxChevaux   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 01:30pm
Oh well - no replies. I've done another search and found a link to the car handbooks on the Citroen site, thank you admin for putting it up. I now know what is available so no need for any further responses - not that there are any so far
FrankBullitt   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 01:53pm

Member No: #19238
DeuxChevaux wrote ...

Oh well - no replies...

...I now know what is available so no need for any further responses - not that there are any so far

I'm not sure why, but there is a software issue on here which means that 'show unread posts' doesn't always show all of them - I select this option when coming on to the forum but can assure you I have not seen your original post, that is quite common unfortunately. It may be a setting I have that's not right but I suspect other people also have the same issue. I wouldn't assume that people are automatically ignoring you for any reason.

All automatic gearboxes nowadays have a 'Sport' mode, they do similar things but will work differently depending on whether they are a clutchless manual (e.g. EGS), traditional auto or CVT transmission. As a rule of thumb they hold on to each gear longer (i.e. don't change up as quickly) and will change down quicker to give more control and engine braking, more complex transmission will sharpen the gearchange too and they often lock-out top gear completely. To improve acceleration torque converter gearboxes tend to lock the gear quicker than in normal modes (i.e. less 'slush').
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 DeuxChevaux (10 Mar 2017 : 02:30)
routemaster1   
Thu Mar 09 2017, 02:42pm
Member No: #574
FrankBullitt wrote ...

I'm not sure why, but there is a software issue on here which means that 'show unread posts' doesn't always show all of them - I select this option when coming on to the forum.

I have this issue as well. It did it when I was using Internet Explorer and still does now I am using Chrome.
DeuxChevaux   
Fri Mar 24 2017, 06:08pm
Ok - I've downloaded the owners handbook from Citroen and it says ALL 6 speed autos have sport and snow modes. I've now looked at several cars including a DS4 and as yet have not found a car with sport and snow mode buttons. I am looking so far at 2011 - 2014. I emailed Citroen customer support who said they couldn't answer and I should go and ask my local dealer (the one who hadn't any idea which cars had sport etc modes). I am now getting close to buying a Toyota 1.2 CRT car as it seems to do what I want. Can anyone who has a 2011 to 2014 car with auto 6 speed flappy paddle box say whether theirs has - or has not - got sport or snow modes so I can at least find the model I want. er please?
FrankBullitt   
Fri Mar 24 2017, 06:17pm

All DS4 automatics have snow Mode and winter mode, their is a little 'S' button and snow flake to the left of the selector. Not sure about DS4's with EGS but the 1.6THP 160bhp and 2.0HDi 160 auto models definitely do.

1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 DeuxChevaux (28 Mar 2017 : 03:16)
DeuxChevaux   
Tue Mar 28 2017, 03:26am
I don't seem to be doing to well in the car search. My target is a C4 1.6hdi with auto 6 speed box and sport button. My lack of funds means so far the cars I have looked at are 2011 - 2014 and at the moment none have had a sport button. I found a 62 plate DS3 with sport and snow buttons but it was a petrol engine and a diesel DS4 but again no sport button.
DeuxChevaux   
Mon Mar 12 2018, 05:13am
Ok an update - I found a 3 year old DS4 with three main dealer services and 24k last July. It was a 1.6hdi airdream eco Dstyle EGS Auto, long name.
The car itself is very nice and I have now put about 10K miles on it. It's had a few issues I would not expect. Both bottom front ball joints had to be replaced just after having it, one being bad enough for an mot fail despite it having had a Main dealer service just 400 miles before.
A puncture made me realise no spare tyre was not an option and despite Citroen saying that there was no room for a full size spare I have put a full size matching alloy wheel and tyre in the boot. The jack has to live elsewhere but that a small price to pay. It has electric massage seats - no idea why, something that seems pointless to me.
My one gripe is the software for the gearbox. My last car had the same engine and gearbox but had a sport mode which this does not so gearbox changes are slow. Never mind I can use the manual option - but - you don't get it! Ok I decide to do an overtake and 4th is the gear I want so I select 4th and floor the throttle at which point the software takes over and does a slow gearchange to 3rd, then give power back and off we go, halfway through it then takes power off again to go to 4th with another slow gearchange before eventually giving me power back. Nil points to Citroen on this one, manual should mean manual control.
Creep and stop start are also included, I would be very pleased to lose both functions but have learnt to live with this glitch.
I have even looked for a replacement car but to date can't find anything I can afford that I would want.
So it's a very nice car which is spoilt with poor software that was fine on my last version of this engine and gearbox
DeuxChevaux   
Tue Jun 05 2018, 09:21am
For anyone who may be interested my DS4 has gone. I got really fed up with the software controlling the gearchanges so out it went and its been replaced with a .... drum roll ... a DS4!
The new one is the same colour, the same trim and the same model, except - its got an EAT 6 gearbox and the 2 litre 180 bhp diesel engine.
Early stages but this one seems brilliant!! Fast gearchanges and none of the slush normally associated with a full auto. I think I am going to like this car
Keith   
Tue Jun 05 2018, 11:42am
Member No: #25323
I have the EAT6 on my Crossback, compared to the ETG on my old Cactus it's like chalk and cheese obviously because they are two different type of gearboxes.

You may find this link useful http://www.peugeot.co.uk/eat6/ Although for Peugeot I'm pretty sure it's the same box.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Jun 06 2018, 02:58am

Congratulations on the new car, we need pictures of course!

Keith wrote ...
You may find this link useful http://www.peugeot.co.uk/eat6/ Although for Peugeot I'm pretty sure it's the same box.

Yes it’s exactly the same box as the one used by Peugeot
DeuxChevaux   
Fri Jun 15 2018, 08:36am
It's now been well over 1000 miles since I bought the car, 53 mpg and a DS4 I like. Thanks for the link Keith.
I am definitely keeping this one

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member