or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Active Cruise Control Fault?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
niggly56   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 04:58am
Member No: #41618
My 2015 C4P Exclusive + has had an odd problem (along with many others, now fixed!) where just as you move off an alarm sounds and a message flashes up in the bottom right of the top screen- so fast you don't have time to read it. This happens only on odd occasions. Yesterday, in the rain, I moved off and an alarm and a message, "Distance System fault" or something very similar- popped up briefly.
I do have the Active Cruise control on all the time, and my dealer has updated the cruise control unit software and recalibrated it in the past- but it hasn't fixed the problem. The cruise control still seems to give me distance to the cars in front- so I think it is still functioning. It's due to be serviced soon, so I will ask them again to look at it- but I would be interested if anyone else with Active Cruise control has had any problems.
routemaster1   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 05:03am
Member No: #574
niggly56 wrote ...

My 2015 C4P Exclusive + has had an odd problem (along with many others, now fixed!) where just as you move off an alarm sounds and a message flashes up in the bottom right of the top screen- so fast you don't have time to read it. This happens only on odd occasions. Yesterday, in the rain, I moved off and an alarm and a message, "Distance System fault" or something very similar- popped up briefly.
I do have the Active Cruise control on all the time, and my dealer has updated the cruise control unit software and recalibrated it in the past- but it hasn't fixed the problem. The cruise control still seems to give me distance to the cars in front- so I think it is still functioning. It's due to be serviced soon, so I will ask them again to look at it- but I would be interested if anyone else with Active Cruise control has had any problems.

I have never had any issues with mine, but I am a little confused. You say the active cruise is on all the time, but cruise can only be activated at above 25mph, and will disengage when changing gears (manual) or touching the brake. Can you clarify what you mean please?
bluehdi   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 05:10am
Member No: #2617
Niggly56 - do you use the My Citroen app?

Usefully the app will capture your car errors, even ones that flash up and clear. When I kept getting a directional headlamp error, the app caught it and luckily I screenshotted it. After a restart of the ignition the error was not then showing and the app cleared it as well. When I took the car in, they could see from my evidence what I'd seen. Fortunately after some months, Citroen issued a bulletin and the error code was found stored and then fixed.

I've not had any issues with my active cruise, but I do recall that active cruise doesn't always work properly in heavy rain and it's mentioned in the handbook. That may explain the odd error you are getting.
bluehdi   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 10:42am
On my steering wheel, I keep the cruise control switch set to cruise on, all the time (rather than in the off or speed limiter position). This means that I can just set it quickly to my desired speed when I need it.

The location of the active cruise radar for the system in our cars is located here in this post:

- Click Here -

There can also issues with the active cruise if this area becomes particularly dirty with road grime.
niggly56   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 10:46am
Thanks for the replies.
When I say the active cruise is on all the time- I mean the system is enabled on the touch screen. I appreciate it doesn't actually do it's thing until the car is travelling at speed and the cruise control selected- but the inter-vehicle time can be seen on the top screen and this is part of the radar cruise speed control functionality. It is normally during or just after engine startup and moving off the alarm might sound and I don't see the error message.
The MyCitroen app doesn't show any messages unfortunately.
I was aware of the radar location and this area is always kept clean- although rain might be a factor it also happens in the dry.....
routemaster1   
Sat Mar 04 2017, 11:01am
niggly56 wrote ...

Thanks for the replies.
When I say the active cruise is on all the time- I mean the system is enabled on the touch screen. I appreciate it doesn't actually do it's thing until the car is travelling at speed and the cruise control selected- but the inter-vehicle time can be seen on the top screen and this is part of the radar cruise speed control functionality. It is normally during or just after engine startup and moving off the alarm might sound and I don't see the error message.
The MyCitroen app doesn't show any messages unfortunately.
I was aware of the radar location and this area is always kept clean- although rain might be a factor it also happens in the dry.....

Glad that is clarified. I just wonder why anyone with active cruise would want to turn it off!
Wutang   
Thu Apr 13 2017, 10:41am
Member No: #46858
Are you sure it's the cruise? When I start mine it gives a warning in the speedo about the distance alert / collision warning system briefly while the system boots up. Goes away when it has initiated. This is a separate safety feature from the active cruise.
bluehdi   
Thu Apr 13 2017, 03:23pm
I've never seen any warnings about the overall distance alert/collision warning system when starting or using my car. It doesn't sound right that you even see such a warning, but I guess as long as it works!

Coincidentally though, I was driving the other day and my car beeped as I slowed down at a junction, as though a fault had developed, but no fault was logged when I pushed the button up on the left of the top screen. I always panic a bit with these alerts, after my top screen failure some years ago, as I think something has gone wrong with my car!

As has been said before, its annoying that unless you happen to be looking at the top 12" screen at the very time, you don't know what the beep actually related to. I wondered then, if it was the collision warning system - level 1, incorrectly thinking something was fast approaching? Still don't know, but hopefully just a glitch.

I have had the collision system come up 'brake' on the screen, beep and tighten the active front seat belts, when it quite rightly picked up a car turning left that I should have slowed for. You can see how Citroen have now developed this system further on the latest facelift C4P/GP 2.0, to go just one step further and actually apply the brakes.

However over on the French forums, owners who have the BlueHdi 150 and the full active cruise/brake system (with stop function), are reporting that their cars make odd sounds and react strangely when driving, as if on occasion preparing for a possible collision.
FrankBullitt   
Thu Apr 13 2017, 04:39pm

Member No: #19238
bluehdi wrote ...
However over on the French forums, owners who have the BlueHdi 150 and the full active cruise/brake system (with stop function), are reporting that their cars make odd sounds and react strangely when driving, as if on occasion preparing for a possible collision.

This happens across numerous vehicles - emergency stops when the systems 'detect' an issue that doesn't exist, for example. It would drive me mad; I had a TT with lane-assist for a day and it would gently 'nudge' the steering if you were to go over a white line without indicting; in one sense that's fine but as you should not indicate when pulling back in it would drive me mad after overtaking and feel the car 'pull' me to the outside when trying to leave the overtaking lane - I turned it off.
routemaster1   
Fri Apr 14 2017, 02:52am
FrankBullitt wrote ...

bluehdi wrote ...

This happens across numerous vehicles - emergency stops when the systems 'detect' an issue that doesn't exist, for example. It would drive me mad; I had a TT with lane-assist for a day and it would gently 'nudge' the steering if you were to go over a white line without indicting; in one sense that's fine but as you should not indicate when pulling back in it would drive me mad after overtaking and feel the car 'pull' me to the outside when trying to leave the overtaking lane - I turned it off.

Our C4GP has lane assist, but it only indicates that you are going over a line but repeatedly tugging the driver's seat belt. On a motorway it would only work if you hadn't indicated, but if you had it would not work when pulling back in. One minor niggle; it sometimes pulls when it shouldn't as the camera sometimes thinks it has seen a line, but it has picked up on some other road surface feature.
telc1999   
Tue May 23 2017, 08:45am
Member No: #47637
I have a 63 plate c4 picasso exclusive + which has a cruise control fault. When I try to turn it on, the cruise control comes up on the screen and says its paused, and no amount of button pushing will make it work. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?
niggly56   
Thu May 25 2017, 11:38am
Telc1999 - I no longer have the car- but when I was having issues the dealer updated the 'software' and caused the problem you are having. They had to take it back and recalibrate it by driving around with a laptop connected until they got it working again. If it's under some sort of warranty then the dealer should sort it. Otherwise I'm guessing it could be expensive.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member