or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

2005 C4 2.0HDI hatch coolant leak- advice on likely problem area

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ken1202   
Wed Feb 15 2017, 05:12pm
Member No: #1425
Hello,
My normally reliable trusty C4 has developed a sudden serious coolant loss, ie the head tank can empty in less than a ten mile journey.
Looking under the car the leakage is from the rear of the engine, but the exact source can't be seen due to the congested nature of this area. What can be seen is coolant dripping out of the aluminium "clam shell shaped" heat shield which surrounds the exhaust catalyst unit.
Oddly there is no leakage when the car is left idling + occasional revving for an hour but when driven normally the head tank will empty within 10 miles. I tried a Radweld+ treatment without success.
No leakage can be observed from all readily visible hoses, radiator, heater core and water pump areas.
Possible sources could be the head gasket, heater hoses, a core plug or the difficult to inspect plumbing + heat exchanger + coolant flow electrovalve which sit between the top of the engine and the bulkhead.
Any advice or experience of this fault gratefully accepted.
KenC   
Wed Feb 15 2017, 07:18pm
Member No: #18024
Did you have antifreeze in? The thermostat housing can warp and leak but that's not in the position you have your leak.
Aldi sell endoscope kit that you could get in the tight areas!
ken1202   
Thu Feb 16 2017, 12:19pm
Member No: #1425
Car has (or had) 50% Citroen long life antifreeze.

Removed the plastic scuttle trim today to allow a better look behind the engine with my cheapo ebay USB mini camera. Camera was unnecessary as leakage point was immediately obvious ie the push/snap on heater return hose connection was loose due to incorrect fitting of the retaining spring. This unfortunately is just one more example to add to my long list of shoddy workmanship carried out by my local Arnold Clark when they replaced my engine some time ago.
KenC   
Thu Feb 16 2017, 01:46pm
Member No: #18024
At least you found it

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member