or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Handbrake fault ESP/ASR fault warning message

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
saley68   
Sat Jan 28 2017, 10:25am
Member No: #47415
Yesterday our C4GP threw this message on arrival back at home after several small stop start trips around town - "Handbrake faulty" - followed by " ESP/ASR Fault".
After looking for help on here I replaced the brake light switch, but the message has still kept occurring. Thinking about the kind of trips taken yesterday I drove the car today for 40 mins to make sure the battery was charged - the battery is only 3 months old anyway. The car drove fine without problems but the message reappeared when I stopped back at home to put the handbrake on.

The handbrake makes the usual noise when the lever is manually pulled, but more quietly and for a longer period of time than it normally would if working properly. However the "handbrake on" or "handbrake off" message does not appear at the end, and the handbrake does not hold the car after the switch is pulled. The hill start assist 2 second delay after pressing the brakes still works, but the handbrake does not automatically apply once the engine is turned off.

Being Saturday afternoon there are no local garages open so I will need to wait until Monday before booking the car in somewhere, unless anyone knows of anything else I can try in the mean time.
rusky   
Sat Jan 28 2017, 10:29am
Member No: #27768
It sounds like the cable may have snapped if it's not holding when manually operating the handbrake.
routemaster1   
Sat Jan 28 2017, 10:49am
Member No: #574
The hill assist works on the main hydraulic brakes, not the parking brake, which explains why that still works. I agree, it does sound like a cable issue.
saley68   
Sat Jan 28 2017, 11:12am
Member No: #47415
Thanks - you are both right.

The near side cable has snapped between the plastic connector where it joins the main cable and the cable housing running to the calliper.

Can you buy the near side cable separately or is it one combined cable system? If you can, how difficult are they to fit?
rusky   
Sat Jan 28 2017, 12:02pm
Member No: #27768
You need access to diagbox to replace the cables. Guides are - Click Here -
Ferrograph   
Sat Dec 26 2020, 10:46am
Member No: #57193
I have a very similar issue with the handbrake & ESR/ASR messages, and distinctly the motor running longer and quieter, but the handbrake does come on/off and I see the on/off message. Happened when applying the handbrake after I got back home from a short trip.

Is this probably cables still?
vexorg   
Mon Dec 28 2020, 10:24am
Member No: #48843
If you replace just the connector then you shouldn't need diagbox as it will be like for like.
Ferrograph   
Wed Dec 30 2020, 03:46pm
Thanks for the help provider here. Mine too was the left side cable snapped, rusted through.

I was able to find replacement cable for £18 and it was a fairly simple job to fit. It also helps enormously with access to remove the spare wheel.

I didnt find the instructions terribly clear so I took some pictures to show where this is clearly.

Ferrograph   
Wed Dec 30 2020, 03:56pm
More pictures for those wondering if its something they can do themselves.

Ferrograph   
Wed Dec 30 2020, 04:04pm
Last few showing new cable fully fitted, and one of the wheel end.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member