or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Snow Chains

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
wiimixer   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 05:06am
Member No: #43831
I'm taking my late 2013 C4 Picasso to Austria in a few weeks, and will be required to carry snow chains. Has anyone here got experience of how to find a suitable set? The tyre size is 205/55 R17, and I'm yet to find a set specifically listing this tyre size as compatible.

Meanwhile, I did pick up a set at Lidl (for £11.99!) today, which cover 205/50 R17 and 205/70 R17.

I'm temped to think that implies it covers the 50-70 profile range, but would appreciate the views of those with more experience here.

Many thanks,
Ces
rafiki   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 05:26am
Member No: #17435
Hi,

Not sure, but it's strange to me that one chain size will cover whole range of tyre height. Check page 83 of PDF document from URL: - Click Here -

For 205/55 R17, you need chain size 100.

BR
1 User said Thank You to rafiki for this Post :
 wiimixer (24 Jan 2017 : 07:53)
wilcovh   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 05:28am
Member No: #28268
I have carried snow chains going on holiday to Austria. Nowadays i'm using winter tyres.
Snow chains are normally for a tyre range, and thus fit a couple of tyres. Your assumption is right in my opinion.
Do not forget to do a test before you leave that you at least have experience to fit them because it is not going to be easy doing it in the dark in a snow storm without ever having tried.
1 User said Thank You to wilcovh for this Post :
rafiki   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 05:54am
Member No: #17435
You also may check: - Click Here -
Enter tyre size, select chain model and then check "Fitting chart" to see compatible sizes.

And follow wilcovh suggestion: if you're not familiar with chain fitting, first try at home.

I always carry a pair of old ski gloves inside a car. If I need to fit chains, at least I'll have a warm gloves to put on my hands.
1 User said Thank You to rafiki for this Post :
Richard_C   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 06:09am
Member No: #46470
Looks likely to be OK, but like the previous poster said, you MUST do a test fit before you go. The first time it takes 10 minutes or so as you work out how to do it, imagine that in the dark, minus 10, windy, on ice or slush, on a slope. Make sure they tension properly when first fitted with a notch or two left on the adjuster, you do need to stop and re tighten when they have settled in. I guess to get the authentic alpine feel to your test you could try it out at night while a friend sprays cold water over you.

I had a set of 225/55/17s from my C5, fitted a range but not down to Pic size. They would fit the Pic snugly but not tighten properly (tensioner was on last link before driving forwards) but it was so close I was reluctant to buy new ones - after all you never expect to need them and it just adds to the collection of old ones in the garage. So I used a couple of snap links to shorten the tensioning chain. If I lived near a Lidl I would have been happy to spend £12 for the right size.

Cheap chains are fine as a standby - if you are using them every day you need better quality - its the materials/wear rate and automatic tensioner rather than the functionality that you are paying for with higher priced ones.

A couple of practical hints. Make sure you pack them on top of your luggage not underneath (obvious), stuff in an old towel to wipe your hands after fitting, a torch ideally that stands up for itself unless your passenger can leap out and help (a lot of 'chain up' lay bys are well lit, but not all), and I put in a few black bin liners which take up no material space. One to kneel on to keep me clean (its cold and wet, gritty, icy) and one to put the chains in when you take them off to keep the car clean. They never go back in the bag neatly/quickly so you can just throw bin liner on floor and wait until you get somewhere warm to repack them properly. If you have used them, rinse them off properly when you get home (or, if you are stopping in a hotel on the way back, they can take a shower with you ).

1 User said Thank You to Richard_C for this Post :
Richard_C   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 06:12am
Member No: #46470
A further thought - I assume the Lidl ones are 9mm chains - the normal standards are 9 and 12, but I think I saw something in the handbook that says no bigger than 9mm for the Pic.
1 User said Thank You to Richard_C for this Post :
wiimixer   
Tue Jan 24 2017, 07:56am
Member No: #43831
Thanks for the response. It's reassured me the ones I picked up are likely correct, so I'll unbox and try fitting them tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ces

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member