or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Problem converting CDs to MP3

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 02:47am
Member No: #574
One of the radio programmes from my youth is The Navy Lark. My wife gave me a set of about 8CDs for my birthday last year. I would like to convert them to MP3 as I no longer have a CD player in either car. Each CD contains 2 programmes, splitting down into 20 separate tracks.
When I convert to MP3 with any software I can find, the MP3 plays OK until you reah the end of the track. Instead of a smooth unnoticable transition, as you get when playing the CD, the track ends suddenly, frquently mid-sentence or even mid-word.
I have tried copying to the stick as a wav. file but the car radio doesn't recognise them, and I have tried as an ogg. file, which is recognised but still has the same issue.
I think the problem may be the way the rippers read the CD as 16 sectors at a time, but I can't find one that will convert fewer than this.
Anyone got any helpful hints or tips?
neilp   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 03:47am
Member No: #3384
I remember the Navy Lark. I assume you've tried Windows Media Player and it gives the same problem. I've never had to use anything else and it's a bit of a strange one. I'm not aware of any sort of protection unless the BBC have come up with something.
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 04:13am
Yes, I've tried Windows Media Player. It doesn't appaer to be protection as it is OK apart from the last few seconds of each 'track'.
DavidC4   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 04:38am
Member No: #5234
Have you tried iTunes? I have ripped 3 CDs from a box set successfully which totalled about 2 hours of play time
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 05:39am
DavidC4 wrote ...

Have you tried iTunes? I have ripped 3 CDs from a box set successfully which totalled about 2 hours of play time

Yes, I have tried iTunes; it will convert in anything I've tried, but unfortunately all clip off the ends of the tracks.
Richard_C   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 06:39am
Member No: #46470
Have you played with the rip settings in Media Player? Deep in my memory there are some option sin there which might help - lossless perhaps but that might only be for WMA.

You could try Audacity - freeware. You import into Audacity, create a 'project' then you have full control over lots of things like track breaks, compression (so you can adjust dynamic range down for listening in the car) then export it to a variety of formats. You might need a free add in to save as MP3. Its a bit of a faff but could work for you.

The key thing in workflow is to remember that the Audacity Project (which you save as you go along) is not the end product - you export it to whatever format you want. Its a bit like photo editing, you export as jpeg or whatever at the end. When you are all done you can delete the Audacity files if you don't think you will need them again.
1 User said Thank You to Richard_C for this Post :
 routemaster1 (19 Jan 2017 : 09:38)
YOG   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 09:05am
Member No: #17929
I used Windows Media Player for all of my CD to MP3 conversions, without any problems.
There is a setting under the "Burn" tab, "Burn CD without gaps between tracks". Check that it is "unticked".
1 User said Thank You to YOG for this Post :
 routemaster1 (19 Jan 2017 : 09:38)
routemaster1   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 09:40am
YOG wrote ...

I used Windows Media Player for all of my CD to MP3 conversions, without any problems.
There is a setting under the "Burn" tab, "Burn CD without gaps between tracks". Check that it is "unticked".

Thanks for this; I will give it a go and post on the result.
rusky   
Thu Jan 19 2017, 12:22pm
Member No: #27768
YOG wrote ...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member