or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Exhaust Manifold Problem or something else?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Mortimer   
Sun Jan 15 2017, 02:24am
Member No: #40734
Whilst out yesterday I noted a change in the engine noise when climbing hills in my 06 C4 1.6HDi.
When I slowed down the heating system stated blowing exhaust fumes into the car. I stopped and lifted the bonnet and under the cover at the back of the engine bay, I could hear a localised sound of gas puffing like it was escaping under pressure in time with each engine revolution. I.e. One cylinder.
My first thought was exhaust manifold loose or cracked. But as the manifold effectively gangs all the exhaust ports together, I would expect the puffing timed to every cylinder not just one.

Other than this the engine idles smoothly, and accelerates smoothly, which doesn't suggest to me that one of them is not putting out as much power as the others.

I going to take the car to a garage shortly, but was wondering what I am to expect.
rusky   
Sun Jan 15 2017, 03:51am
Member No: #27768
Sounds like the injector seal. Take the black engine cover off again, get a torch & see if there's any black gunk around the injectors.

Sometimes you can get away with just tightening them but they may need replacing.

If you don't get it fixed, fuel mixes with the oil & it's farewell turbo!
Mortimer   
Sun Jan 15 2017, 04:02am
Ah good. That concurs with what the chap at the garage just said.
They said hopefully it will mean just replacing the seals. Depends on if the injectors comes out though. If they break, each will be £300 to replace, on top of several hours labour.
Mortimer   
Mon Jan 16 2017, 05:25am
Just been told £430 to replace all the injector seals. Warned that if the cam belt is damaged when they remove the cover, it will be another £400 on top.

Is this plausible?
rusky   
Mon Jan 16 2017, 11:55am
Member No: #27768
The injector seals can be a pig to get out but I don't know about the possibility of the timing belt being damaged but since a Citroen original one is £345 - Click Here - £400 seems steep.
Mortimer   
Mon Feb 06 2017, 02:56pm
Ouch! £1,872!

5 hours labour
4 injector seals at £20 each.
2 new injectors, two broke on removal, one had to be removed some sort of hydraulic kit. That job alone £125.
Inlet manifold plus seals.

I feel like I was mugged!

Then the engine under tray fell off the first day I got it back on the M23, and it still doesn't look right. The wheel arch liners are not behind the body work.

Anyway it seems to go much better, but much noisier. This would appear to be because there used to be sort of blanket like cover over the top of the engine, which is no longer there. What I would like to know is if I want to get a new cover, what do I ask for? Is there a part number? Are there any alternatives.

The garage disposed of it because it had become contaminated with fuel and oil, and decided it was too risky to refit.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member