or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Coupe HDiF turbo issues

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
kay81290   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 06:21AM
Member No: #40923
So I have been struggling with this issue for a while now.

Last year I got the DPF failure light in my 2005 C4 Coupe VTS 2.0HDiF, and decided to have let it removed and mapped out of the ECU.
This has been done by a well respected company here in the Netherlands.
When I came back to their workshop to pick up the car they told me the turbo was running towards it's end of life.
A short month later the turbo began to fail and I decided to have it replaced.
Brand new turbo fitted, everything cleaned up where possible and she was running smooth again.
Until now... I have the feeling there is no more power coming from the turbo, it seriously lacks power.
There is no check engine light coming on, and when I hooked it up to an OBDII device (fancy universal garage unit) there were no errors popping up. I do think I can hear the turbo while driving, especially when I take my foot off the throttle, sounds like it's flushing at that moment.

The first thing I checked were the turbo hoses and vacuum hoses, they were all fine.
Yesterday I hooked up my simple ELM237 OBDII device, and noticed the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor was giving me a super high value of 247.6 bar @ idle 751rpm, and when opening the throttle on the road 1558.3 bar @ 2992rpm under load.
Is this normal? Seems really high to me.
Is it possible that the sensor died and caused the turbo to stopped working?

Need some new inspiration to look further into this issue

Thanks!
Biohead   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 09:14AM

Member No: #6049
That fuel pressure is about right under load - they really are that high.

Can you check your turbo boost pressure under load? On a diesel, you should be looking around 20-30 psi.
kay81290   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 09:37AM
I will try to check if there is an option for reading out specific turbo boost values tonight.
Don't know if it's any use, intake manifold pressure showed 1,74 bar @ 2992rpm
kay81290   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 09:29AM
So on my elm327 V1.5 there is no option to monitor the boost pressure.
I will see if some dealer or someone with a lexia3 can help me out finding this data.
Thanks for the reply
rusky   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 12:04PM
Member No: #27768
Try the Torque app if you've got an android phone. I'm sure that has boost pressure.
kay81290   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 02:53PM
Thanks Rusky, with the Torque app I was able to see the turbo pressure.

Apparantly, the maximum pressure measured was around 6.5 psi...

I remember that when the garage replaced the turbo, the mechanic told me there was one sensor giving out a temperature below 0 degrees centigrade but I do not recall which sensor he was talking about. I will try to look this up.
There was no fault code about this sensor, before or after the replacement.

Do the yellowed "incomplete" marks have anything to do with mapping out the EGR and stuffs?
Biohead   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 03:36PM

Member No: #6049
6psi seems fairly low - next step would be to try work out why the boost is low.

Is it the turbo itself at fault or something else? It could be a leak in the vacuum system, which stops the actuators moving to their proper positions. You'll need a vacuum gauge to confirm this.

The yellow'd out items on Torque just mean it can't read them from the car - likely that it doesn't know how to decode them properly rather than them not being there at all.
kay81290   
Tue Jan 10 2017, 11:41AM
Thanks, i'll start testing the vacuum soon.
One thing that came to mind, when the turbo started to fail, it felt like it was stuttering, going on and off every half second or so. Could this point to a faulty actuator?
My guess would be that a turbo itself is either working or not working at all, is that correct?
rusky   
Sat Jan 14 2017, 07:12AM
Member No: #27768
Just for reference, in my C4GP when driving at 75 & the engine is at 50% load the boost is 10 PSI. accelerating hard the boost tops out at 17.5 PSI

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member