or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

DPF warning 1.6 HDi, odd circumstances?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
countfreddie   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 02:50am
Member No: #46893
Hi all

I have a 56 plate C4 1.6HDi. I got it in April and have put about 20,000+ miles on it and it's now at 133k miles.

I have had the DPF warning flash up a few times during my ownership, always when the engine is under load and being revved relatively high (I would expect that as the time most exhaust back-pressure would be measured due to blockage). The fault has always cleared itself within the same journey and I then use a DPF cleaner additive at the next opportunity which causes the problem to go away for a couple of months or so (doing lots of miles each month)...

However the latest example has been very different. I decided to pre-empt the next fault with a bottle of additive. However when I fired up to leave the forecourt the fault flagged up at start-up which I have not experienced before. I have not been able to clear it since even with one more bottle of regular DPF cleaner and a bottle of Archoil AR6400-D MAX (separately of course).

As the situation is so different to before I was wondering if a sensor failure can cause the warning to become permanent or if this is definitely the DPF itself? Are there any relatively easy (or inexpensive) checks I can do before DPF cleaning/regen etc? If not what is the most cost effective way of getting the filter cleaned? replacement will pretty much write off the vehicle due to costs...

Apologies of this is covered already I couldn't find the forum search tool. Thanks for any feedback!
gittos   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 03:46am
Member No: #30055
Can't help with your fault,,,someone will be along I am sure but the search tool is at the top of the page.
Biohead   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 09:56am

Member No: #6049
Have you got a code reader you can use to get the exact fault?

Whats the exact message given too? Is it the standard "Anti-pollution fault"? This is just the generic error message of the car and might not even be related to the DPF (despite the name).
countfreddie   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 11:09am
I don't have a reader currently (trying to avoid buying as I am not sure how long I will keep the car). If I buy a lexia can I do anything like filter re-gen etc?

The service light stays on and the message that comes up when starting the car is the standard 'risk of particle filter blocking' message.
KenC   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 11:36am
Member No: #18024
Have you had the dpf fluid level low warning because you must be getting close to another refill
Biohead   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 01:24pm

Member No: #6049
You can force a regen using Lexia, but I was suggesting a bog standard OBD reader. If you have an Android phone, you can buy a £10 OBD bluetooth adaptor (example: - Click Here - ) and read the codes straight from your phone. Will work on any post-2002 car as well - well worth an investment!

You do have the specific DPF filter message though- and as KenC has pointed out you're well within the region for the 2nd EOLYS top fluid top up. You might be able to find the pouch containing it and see how full/empty it is which would be a starting point at the least.
countfreddie   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 02:47pm
Aha! I do have one of those. Bought it years ago but forgot about it. Dug it out now and will try it out tomorrow. Cheers all.
countfreddie   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 03:29pm
Update. OBD reader only brought up a p1351 glow plug fault and no pending or historical codes. I will have a poke about for the EOLYS bag asap (underneath near the back right?).

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member