or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Knock, knock

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Etranger   
Fri Sep 09 2016, 06:26am
Member No: #45812
Hi

I'm getting a distinct knocking sound from the rear suspension on my 57 plate C4 SX 1.6 hatch. It's only really apparent when manoeuvring slowly over rough ground. There's a badly-potholed car park near work and it shows up most there. When I'm on the open road, sailing over potholes and manhole covers, it doesn't seem to occur.

I've checked the plastic sleeves around the shockers and they're in place (I read they have a habit of dropping down onto the hub assembly). Also the exhaust is secure. Oh, and it passed its MOT a month back without any advisories on the suspension.

Any thoughts before I start dismantling the suspension?
Honest   
Sat Sep 10 2016, 01:11pm
Member No: #35215
Hi, Etranger! To check out the stabilizer (tube) which was mounted to bar and item #3.
- Click Here -
- Click Here -
Etranger   
Tue Sep 13 2016, 05:13am
Thanks. Not sure where the stabiliser bar is... Are those the swing arm bushes in the diagram?

Also, would issues here be consistent with a knocking sound that only seems to occur at low speed?
Honest   
Tue Sep 13 2016, 01:53pm
On the pic is shown in center the bar it.
- Click Here -
The knocking sound apparents when manoeuvring slowly over rough ground.
Etranger   
Mon Sep 19 2016, 05:20am
OK, I thought I'd keep this simple (and cheap) and go for the easy stuff first. I removed the tool tray, the spare and the parcel shelf, took the car for a spin but the noise was still there.

I then loaded up the back seats – both kids and the missis with seat belts secured, and whaddya know, the creaking/knocking noise didn't seem to occur any more. Sooo, while it could be the rear suspension, it could also be something to do with the rear seats and/or belts...
1 User said Thank You to Etranger for this Post :
 Honest (19 Sep 2016 : 13:02)
Honest   
Mon Sep 19 2016, 01:21pm
You are using the method of exclusions. Its ok. When the car stays than to open the back door and to swing to top and down. The amplitude of swing has to be different. And to check out a lock for an abrasion (#2).
- Click Here -
Etranger   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 10:33am
OK, so close inspection revealed no signs of wear in the rear suspension, but the plastic shroud on the nearside rear shocker does have a habit of dropping down onto the hub. It's an easy push fit to get it back up in place, where it stays most of the time. A bit annoying, but not an MOT fail. Suspension's not the quietest in the world, but at least I know it's sound.
1 User said Thank You to Etranger for this Post :
 Honest (10 Jan 2017 : 12:35)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member