or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

Citroen C4 - 1.6 THP Exclusive 5d EGS Gearbox problems?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
danzman1991   
Tue Dec 27 2016, 05:43am
Member No: #47101
Hello everyone,

I'm considering buying a 2011 C4 1.6 THP with the EGS Gearbox - I've read some reviews absolutely slating it, I was wondering if any real world everyday users could shed any light on whether this is a car to avoid or not?

Many thanks,
Daniel
rusky   
Tue Dec 27 2016, 06:36am
Member No: #27768
I'm happy with mine. Just have a read of the buyers guide on here to make sure you are familiar with potential issues.
BigJohnD   
Tue Dec 27 2016, 06:53am

Member No: #82
The vast majority of EGS boxes are fine and the owners love them. If they do go wrong you do need a knowledgeable transmission workshop, not one who perpetuates the myth that "they all do that" and offers to (not) fix it for a minor fortune.
DeuxChevaux   
Tue Dec 27 2016, 08:13am
Member No: #16472
I have had my 1.6hdi EGS for 8 years and 88,000 miles. Its been the best gearbox I have ever had! In fact I would have changed the car but can't find a new model with the same gearbox so its a keeper.
Several have written about jerky gear-changes - not mine - apart from the display telling me about what gear I am in in auto mode I would never know what gear I am actually in. No jerky starts either.
It has a sport mode which is really brilliant. You are contemplating an overtake, put it in sport mode and it will usually drop a gear, floor the throttle and you are off, don't worry about over revving as the car will change up in a few milliseconds to the next gear without you lifting off. Far faster than a human can manage. Or - you can drive in manual mode with the flappy paddles but why bother, most of the time the car really does know best.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member