or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Strange sound from the steering wheel

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Kangiev   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 01:09am
Member No: #46931
Hi i have strange sound from the steering wheel. I made the video.
- Click Here -
If someone have this problem and fix it please write me. The car is with engine off and sound not disappear. Do I need to disassemble the wheel?
rusky   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 01:49am
Member No: #27768
It sounds like the bushing of some kind is rubbing. Is it right at the top of the wheel or where it goes through the bulkhead?
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 Jimux (23 Apr 2019 : 16:21)
Kangiev   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 02:01am
I think is right top and the sound is only of 2-3 portions its sound like rubbing i use spray for electrical contacts with idea to clean the area but no results. Now i am searching for diagram of the wheel to see what is inside.
Jimux   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 06:14am

Member No: #8137
We had a thread on this a year or so ago. It's a plastic bush, sealing out engine bay fume rather than load bearing. Seems to get noisy in very cold weather. Best solution is a little silicon grease as things like WD40 could run down and wash lubricant from the metal bearings.
Kangiev   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 07:30am
Hi thanks for reply. Can you send photo where I need to spray? Thanks.
Kangiev   
Thu Dec 08 2016, 05:48am
Hello again i make 3 cleaning procedures with spray for electrical contacts and next with Teflon. The sound get low but its there.
Jimux   
Fri Dec 16 2016, 07:31am

Member No: #8137
Sorry, I've been away. No photos, but the original thread, - Click Here - had a description of exactly where the problem was, and the solution, as copied below. Please note the reference to grease, not a spray, as that could travel to undesirable areas with unforeseen consequences.

Solved squeaky steering !
The squeak from the steering at low speeds was really getting on my nerves so I decided to try and solve it to day.
After much twiddling and listening I narrowed it down to where the steering assembly is attached to the floor pan.
The shaft goes through a rubber assemblly and it appears that's the source of the squeak, I applied some silicone grease and worked it in by repeatedly turning the wheel, now no squeak and a cheap fix that doesn't involve a wasted day at the dealers.
I even removed most of the steering cowl to rule out the wheel itself, it's a bit fiddly to put back together so if you don't need to I would leave it well alone.
Hope this helps other owners 😊
1 User said Thank You to Jimux for this Post :
 Kangiev (22 Dec 2016 : 02:57)
Kangiev   
Thu Dec 22 2016, 03:00am
Thanks. I will try this. Because I am not a native English person, can you please make one photo of the right place. I think about two places but I am not sure. Thanks again.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member