or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Timing Belt Problems : To Repair or To Scrap it?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Love   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 05:24am
Member No: #46842
Hello,

My name is Love from Slough and am a newbie

Recently my Citroen C4 SX 2005 1.6 petrol stalled on the road and had to be towed to the garage. The mechanic on checking said the problem was the timing belt. The car has +100,000 miles on it. It was almost due for service.

On asking how much it would cost to repair it, the amount quoted is high because the timing belt may have caused damage to the engine. The engine has not been opened up as yet to verify the actual damage because of the cost implications.

Am really torn in between having it repaired or scrapping it altogether. This is my first car and I was gifted by my brother, bless him.

Any advice kind advice will be taken on board

Thank you kindly.

Love.
jpbroad1970   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 06:19am
Member No: #45288
it would depend on the repair cost in my opinion and it also depends how much the car is worth to you personally
1 User said Thank You to jpbroad1970 for this Post :
 Love (23 Nov 2016 : 03:53)
Biohead   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 12:01pm

Member No: #6049
Until you've opened the engine, you don't really know what damage has been caused. To be honest, you'd probably have a good idea if it's severely damaged as soon as you take the head off which won't take long at all. If the garage is charging a lot to even do that, then I'd see if you could get another garage to have a look (I know that'll be hard with an immobile car though).

If it's seriously damaged the engine, rather than repair it you'd probably be able to replace the engine with a 2nd hand one for much cheaper (if you want keep the car that is).
1 User said Thank You to Biohead for this Post :
 Love (23 Nov 2016 : 03:57)
AndrewM   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 12:05pm
Member No: #34563

You will only be guessing and prolonging the agony until the head is off. It's not a mammoth task to take the head off and see what damage has been done.
1 User said Thank You to AndrewM for this Post :
 Love (23 Nov 2016 : 03:57)
Love   
Wed Nov 23 2016, 04:15am
Member No: #46842
Biohead and Andrew M: Thank you for your response. I will get to see if the mechanic is willing to take the head off and confirm precisely what is damage is then I can see what the next step would be.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member