or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

BJD's (now not so) New (B7) 2010 C4 1.6 HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 01:00pm

Member No: #1
BigJohnD wrote ...

No, not yet, Dave. Mrs is muttering about a bigger car.X

I muttered to myself about a bigger car and went for it
BigJohnD   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 03:13pm

Member No: #82
Good job I got my OAP £10 Christmas bonus today.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Nov 25 2015, 03:28pm

Member No: #19238
Got to be honest, I do fancy a facelifted DS5 next - I'm not really a fan of big cars but as FB junior grows I think the space will be useful.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Nov 26 2015, 01:55am

Member No: #1
FrankBullitt wrote ...

Got to be honest, I do fancy a facelifted DS5 next - I'm not really a fan of big cars .......

So why are you hankering after an original DS
BigJohnD   
Fri Jul 22 2016, 12:47pm

Spent £450 on the C4 today. Full if early service at 67,000 miles at Swansway's new place in Chester (very nice) and 4 new Michelins from Costco.

£199 for the service was fine - it included all the filters, a brake fluid change, A/C recharge and Eolys check (it's fine at 67,000 miles). They tried to sell me cheap tyres - why? I refused.

£63.59 a pop for each Michelin 205×55 R16 91V Energy Saver wasn't bad, though I don't buy this nitrogen business. It might help Lewis Hamilton knock fractions of a second off his lap time, but I can't see any advantage. After all, fresh air is 80% nitrogen.

Anyway, the car seems much quieter and more responsive. The brakes are less severe in their operation. Average mpg over the last 10,000km, 56.4mpg. Again!

And the insurance from Chris Knott/LV Highway has gone up a few per cent.
BigJohnD   
Thu Nov 17 2016, 11:17am

The not so nouvelle C4 passed its MoT today with no advisories. 6 years old with over 73,000 miles on the clock.

This car is so boring!

FrankBullitt   
Fri Nov 18 2016, 03:34am

Is it my imagination or are we simply not seeing 'my B7 is a pile of rubbish because it has broken' posts on here - without wishing to commit a faux pas they are seemingly incredibly reliable cars.

One of Mrs FB's colleagues has recently had his current car collapse and he is on a ££5k budget - I've pointed him in the direction of early B7's, his initial 'it's French and rubbish' reaction was tempered when he remembered hiring a Citroën last year and really enjoying it then realising we have had three in a row (and are delighted with them, only selling the last DS4 to pull the caravan) plus their boss has a current Grand Picasso Vtr+ which he has driven - he is looking at a couple of B7's this weekend.

Any plans to replace your car John? The obvious answer is 'why?' - is really like to try the Puretech 130, mind.
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 18 2016, 05:52am

The only off-schedule visits to the dealer have been
1. when I was unable to locate a fuse (because of the conversion for RHD), and
2. a replacement bonnet under warranty because of poor paintwork.

I have always had the car serviced well before the 12,500 mile limit despite Mrs BJD saying we should carry on until the car needed attention! I'd like to think the preventative strategy has paid off.

As regards a replacement, when and what is still unresolved. The car is likely to plunge in value very soon, so now (late 2016/early 2017) would be good time. But I've still not selected the next car - probably new/nearly new. Might not be a Citroen
FrankBullitt   
Sat Nov 19 2016, 02:47pm

BigJohnD wrote ...
Might not be a Citroen

Uh Oh, that doesn't sound good - keep your car a bit longer, there is a new C4 coming out in 2017 at some point although details are sketchy at the moment.

It's slightly disappointing that the facelifted model has had spec reduced (Citroën shocker), and there is no real replacement for the Exclusive spec with the Flair being largely comparable to VTR+, it needs the Plus pack really. Also they have now dropped the 2.0HDi Blue engine.

I can recommend the DS4...!
BigJohnD   
Sat Nov 19 2016, 06:32pm

I'm well retired now, and with savings not attracting any interest, eroding even,  there are priorities other than marque loyalty. The likes of Nissan, Skoda and Toyota are now in the frame. 

BigJohnD   
Wed Nov 15 2017, 10:21am

The not so nouvelle C4 (7 years old, all but a couple months in our ownership) passed its MoT today at about 83,600 miles. No advisories. Test said the emissions were well under the required which was good to hear as we're still using the original fill of Eolys. But then we rarely do short journeys - that's what the bus pass is for.

Is this the time to sell? Will SWMBO be happy?
BigJohnD   
Wed Jun 06 2018, 05:13pm

The old new C4 is due a service - the countdown is dropping at full speed. We've completed over 90,000 miles (mostly at 5l/100km or about 56mpg in old money).

So I phone my usual Citroen dealer (who will remain nameless) who have serviced the car since new. He finds the vehicle on his database and agrees a service is due. He rabbits on about fuel and other filters and I'm saying, yes, replace them.

Then I ask how much? £489 he says! WOT? Nearly 500 quid? The car's only worth twice that! So I say I'll have to shop around, as that's too much. So he offers me some monthly payment scheme over 2 years, which apparently sames me money. No thank you. No suspect deals and anyway I'm likely to be selling the car this year.

Suddenly the price drops to £195. He lopped £300 off. About 60%. What's the difference? I ask. We don't use genuine Citroen parts, he says, but those from another approved supplier. So I'm booked in for next week for £195 service - we hope.

I can't understand how the few parts can be £300 less.
Magistrate   
Thu Jun 07 2018, 12:37am
Member No: #1731
They were really trying it on John, legalized theft had they got way with their first quote. Why they could not have quoted the latter figure originally, which is effectively the Citroen fixed price full service for cars > 3 years old using non Citroen parts suggests they are less than straight!
1 User said Thank You to Magistrate for this Post :
 BigJohnD (07 Jun 2018 : 08:20)
FrankBullitt   
Thu Jun 07 2018, 12:33pm

Magistrate wrote ...

They were really trying it on John, legalized theft had they got way with their first quote. Why they could not have quoted the latter figure originally, which is effectively the Citroen fixed price full service for cars > 3 years old using non Citroen parts suggests they are less than straight!

Yip, they’ve tried it on - a full service is £195 using ‘essentials’ none OEM parts and £250 using Originals OEM parts, I’d be tempted to pay for the latter to be honest.

I’d contact the dealer service manager and explain you aren’t happy.
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 BigJohnD (07 Jun 2018 : 15:52)
BigJohnD   
Mon Jun 18 2018, 04:50am

The bill was £195 as quoted but the dealer is only interested in selling - which they seem to equate with a good customer experience.

Apparently the car wouldn't start when they went to move it into the workshop. That, according to them meant a new battery. I said the battery was about 6 months old and probably fine. They said I needed to go to ATS and claim. They weren't prepared to check the alternator/charging (unlikely as there are no other low voltage indicators) or the solenoid or earthing as part of their "thorough car check". Car started as it should after without any attention and has been fine since.

Also, it seems the back pair of dampers are leaking, but they said that was OK. No action needed.

All this is relayed by the girl at the desk. Customers aren't allowed in the workshop and I never saw a mechanic, let alone get the the chance to speak with one. They did send me link to a video of the car's underside but quite what that proved I don't know.

Very poor. Doubt I'll be going back there despite 8 years of my custom.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member