or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions Coupe and Hatch Pre 2012 and C4 Picasso :: ICE / Sat Nav/Bluetooth etc.

Advice on upgrading from a basic Radio/CD with no MP3 function

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Rock   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 05:40pm
Member No: #34500
Hi guys, I have a 2006 c4 Picasso, Exclusiv, and the radio/CD does not have MP3 written above the CD slot, so I am assuming it is an RD4. Here is a picture:

Radio-CD

In any case it does not play my MP3 CDs that used to play on the Radio/CD in my previous 2007 C4 Picasso. I see on ebay lots of Radio/CD units that look identical to mine but do have MP3 written above the CD slot (what model Radio/CD is this?), that start around £30.

Is this the easiest and cheapest route to get MP3 functionality from the CD player? Do I just swap the units?

Would the display need to be changed as well to see the track number and other metadata such as as song title and artist?

All advice welcome on upgrading my Radio/CD welcome, based on the following:

1. MP3 capability either through the CD player or via USB - Essential
2. USB and/or bluetooth - Nice to have
3. On screen metadata - Very nice to have

Cheers

Rock

BigJohnD   
Wed Oct 26 2016, 06:49am

Member No: #82
Yes, that's the usual RD4.

You're best bet for USB and BT is either an alternative head unit (the budget and choice is yours - avoid anything from China on an auction site) or perhaps a Dension Pro BT.

There's lots of threads and FAQs about installation.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 Rock (26 Oct 2016 : 13:12)
Rock   
Wed Oct 26 2016, 01:19pm
Member No: #34500
Have found some threads, and it would appear that the cheapest and easiest solution is not to replace the head unit, but to fit a Yatour unit that converts the CD function to digital and allows SD cards or USB sticks to be used to get your MP3 playlist up and running, and with track listing, but not title/artist info.

What I am not clear on is that after fitting a Yatour device does the unit need to be activated by a dealer?

Would others agree this is the cheapest/easiest solution?

Rock
Biohead   
Wed Oct 26 2016, 02:35pm

Member No: #6049
I'd say the easiest option would be to get an MP3-compatible RD4. Most sellers on ebay will also code it to your VIN for free, so no config necessary - just swap them out and off you go.

A Yatour unit, although giving more flexibility (and a better overall solution) will need the CD changer port enabling by a dealer (or anyone local with a Lexia/Diagbox tool).
jpbroad1970   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 02:30am
Member No: #45288
The other option is the RD45 with integral Bluetooth as I believe you can stream music from your phone and it has USB input, take some searching out but I found one for £45 out a Peugeot programmed chassis number with Lexia and good to go, the only thing to be wary of is depending on your vehicle age the type C display might need changing for the later one, mine did as I have an 08 plate, just sold my setup though as I have put navigation in.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member