or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

[moved] Citroen C4 Grand Picasso won't turnover, gearbox displaying - -

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
sam1966   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 10:15am
Member No: #27799
Hello everyone this is my first post I have found information on here very helpful over the year. I have a 2008 C4 Grand Picasso EGS gearbox. On the instrument panel it displays -- two dashes instead of R N A M. Handbrake faulty message but nothing else, no gearbox faulty message. It won't turn over because it is not registering neutral. When I put a diagnostic comp it does not establish communication with gearbox. This is an intermittent problem. At random it will select gears start up drive fine. when i put the scanner on it communicates with gearbox fine no fault. Nothing happens whilst driving but then at times when parked and come back to start the two dashes appear and the car won't start and will not start maybe for days. I think it may be a wiring problem as such. Any help will be appreciated I don't have any warranty and hoping not a very expensive fix. Has anyone had the two dashes come on and stay permanently starting problem?

I also disconnected the plugs on gearbox ECU. Cleaned with contact cleaner and put silicone grease. that has not solve the issue. But i did note that when the car is working if I then disconnect the first connector and try to start i get the same display on the panel. so it does seem to be in that area as if there is no power coming to ECU. I have also checked fuses all ok. Most people get gearbox faulty message, I'm no getting nothing from gearbox. Could it be something else instead?
sam1966   
Thu Oct 20 2016, 06:27am
hello is anybody out there
BigJohnD   
Thu Oct 20 2016, 07:35am

Member No: #82
No reply usually means no-one has a ready response.

I suggest you start with the battery. If it's more than say 4 years old, consider it suspect and due for replacement. Make sure the terminals are clean and tightly fitted. Also get it checked professionally - more than a simple voltage check.

Check the earthing of the gearbox too.
sam1966   
Fri Oct 21 2016, 03:13pm
Hello Big John thanks for the reply. I have changed the battery with a good working one from another car same. I have tried earthing it direct from battery to engine using jump leads no joy. not selecting any gear just - - on display. I have started to undress the wiring looms. i found the blue thin wire from the battery 5 amp fuse which had rotted caused a previous problem no abs communication. Problem but was solved with a direct feed. so anyone having no abs communication thats your problem very easy to get to and repair no need for a loom replacement from dealers costing £3000 plus. I might just add prior to the problem i m having the gearbox was selecting gears properly like not going in reverse from auto to manual. Having read on the forums about grease drying out. i put die electric grease in connectors and everything worked very well. But then it developed this intermittent non starting fault with -- on gear display, which has now become permanent. before you ask i did clean the grease out using contact cleaner but no resolution. i have traced the red 15amp wire gearbox ecu back to connector and there is power there. I am now going to trace the purple wire 5amp fuse from battery automatic actutator and ecu hoping something gives. gearbox is not communicating with ecu so hopefully i am on the right track. Any information leading to bottom of this problem would be appreciated. i will post as i proceed.
FrankBullitt   
Fri Oct 21 2016, 04:55pm

Member No: #19238
I've moved this to the right area (it was originally posted in the C4 hatchback section) which might get you more support
Injection   
Tue Oct 31 2017, 06:52pm
Member No: #49775
Hi, sam1966!

I have quite the same problem with my collegue's '07 C4 Picasso. It worked well until I prepared the engine bay for crankshaft's rear seal replacement. During that I disconnected most of plugs that got in the way. After connecting everything the car worked for a day or couple until first problem ocurred. The car did not crank and displayed "Handbrake faulty". It started the next day again and drove to the garage where it got stubborn again. After charging the battery, cleaning the terminals and plugs it started and even connected with Delphi diagnostic tool. After clearing DTC's and reconnecting the plug it did not connect any more.

Today I'm going to:
*See if diagnostic tool connects to it this time
*Charge the battery and test it
*Clean and check all the plugs I have disconnected before, engine's too this time
Injection   
Tue Nov 28 2017, 03:41pm
Member No: #49775
I got this problem sorted out. It was caused by bad ground. I cleaned all grounding points near battery and it's okay now.
rigorsaif   
Wed Jan 01 2020, 03:44pm
Member No: #55301
Hi,

I know that the thread is old and there is no further replays but i have the same issue and I really hope that you figured out what was the cause of this issue this will be a great help as the only fault code i got in the gearbox ecu is:
U2003 Coherence fault between the status of the vehicle and the main wakeup function .

thanks
rusky   
Wed Jan 01 2020, 05:49pm
Member No: #27768
I would check the wiring & plugs for the ABS ECU
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 FourStar (13 Jan 2020 : 16:05)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member