or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Rear suspension skipping

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Avelar   
Wed Sep 21 2016, 02:59pm
Member No: #43037
Hi all,

I have a problems with the rear suspension on my C4 Grand Picasso 2007 1.6 HDi manual.
When going round bends above 30mph the rear will skip violently to the side if it hits a relatively small bump.I have checked my wheel nuts - they are all tight. I have normal suspension - not air suspension or self levelling. Today it done it on a very slight bend at about 55mph - very unnerving. Car MOT'd recently with supposedly no issues. I had a quick look under the car and couldn't see a tie bar going across the car so I thought the only culprits would be the main bushes just forward of the beam axle or the shock absorbers. The shockies seemed a little bouncy at the back - but I thought Citroens were always like that. Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Avelar
Tink-GB   
Fri Sep 30 2016, 08:37pm
Member No: #44078
Any chance you have 'Autogrip' tyres on the back..? If so they are renowned to be rubbish in the lateral direction.

If so I would suggest a better set...personally Mitchelin CrossClimates are very quiet and extremely good in the rain.

Additionally make sure your tyres are t the correct pressure according to the car sticker. Garages tend to use their pressure charts or inflate all to a mean 35 psi all round.

Finally you may need rear bushes as your car is now 7 years old...the usual age for the rubber bushes to start to degrade. You will find that side slip will steadily get worse.

Another sign of suspension trouble will be any wheel alignment issues.
1 User said Thank You to Tink-GB for this Post :
 Avelar (24 Dec 2016 : 15:26)
routemaster1   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 03:21am
Member No: #574
Tink-GB wrote ...

Additionally make sure your tyres are t the correct pressure according to the car sticker. Garages tend to use their pressure charts or inflate all to a mean 35 psi all round.

If you have 17" wheels the pressure is much higher at ~49psi. May also be true of 18" as well.

Also I don't think you mention whether it is Exclusive or not. If it is it will have air suspension which brings extra potential issues.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
DeuxChevaux   
Sun Oct 02 2016, 04:33pm
Member No: #16472
No - your shocks are shot. Don't cost a lot and only two bolts each to change
1 User said Thank You to DeuxChevaux for this Post :

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member