or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gittos   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 09:20am
Member No: #30055
Last Fri evening I turned on my laptop, which instantly went into an update which it said may take some time and may restart several times. I had no idea what this update was.

Well it took just short of 1 hour and restarted at least twice. On completion the log in page was slightly different, Firefox was running slowly, the cooling fans on the computer were running at full speed all the time (they normally hardly run)which drained the battery by 50% in 40 mins, where I usually get 4 hours + from the battery.

So, I thought I would go to the restore point history and restore to before the update, but the restore point history was empty. I then checked the update history and that was also empty, all previous update history was gone.

I eventually found an option to restore to a previous version and bit the bullet and went for this... it took about 15 mins but all is back to normal now, everything running as before the update (silent fans again).

This update has not happened on our W10 desktop, so is this a Beta type version?

Now, is there a setting in W10 to stop this happening again?
riven1962   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 01:15pm
Member No: #18905
My HP laptop went through the same update. My laptop however does not seem to have the same problems you had, so I think I will stick with it for the time being.
gittos   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 01:38pm
Member No: #30055
Mine is an HP also,,,the update was a real pain. I wonder why mine reacted the way it did to the same update.

Have you still got your update history and the restore point history?
Chibs   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 02:31pm
😂😂😂 Windows you must be crazy using anything to do with Microsoft.

Make the move to Linux.
neilp   
Wed Sep 07 2016, 05:32pm
Member No: #3384
gittos wrote ...

Last Fri evening I turned on my laptop, which instantly went into an update which it said may take some time and may restart several times. I had no idea whAt this update was.

Well it took just short of 1 hour and restarted at least twice. On completion the log in page was slightly different, Firefox was running slowly, the cooling fans on the computer were running at full speed all the time (they normally hardly run)which drained the battery by 50% in 40 mins, where I usually get 4 hours + from the battery.

So, I thought I would go to the restore point history and restore to before the update, but the restore point history was empty. I then checked the update history and that was also empty, all previous update history was gone.

I eventually found an option to restore to a previous version and bit the bullet and went for this... it took about 15 mins but all is back to normal now, everything running as before the update (silent fans again).

This update has not happened on our W10 desktop, so is this a Beta type version?

Now, is there a setting in W10 to stop this happening again?

The Anniversary update is the latest build of Windows 10. Version 1607 build 14393. It is an official release to the public.
This update (or upgrade) replaces the previous version/build which is why it can take 1 - 2hrs. And also why you do not see system restore points or update history.
I would check to see if HP have any updated drivers for your model to fix the problem with the fan running all the time. Check for Firefox updates. The update will appear again at some time and you cannot stop them.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member