or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

How do I remove and reinstall the steering wheel?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Porl   
Sat Sep 03 2016, 11:00pm
Member No: #17283
Do any of you know how to remove and reinstall the steering wheel on the B7 series C4? I can't see any obvious fasteners, so I assume there is a need to pry/otherwise detach the airbag first, as per the earlier, fixed hub type steering wheels.
The reason I ask is that I have recently updated from a 2007 C4 VTR 2.0 petrol to a newer, 2011 C4 Exclusive 1.6 THP. While the newer car is overall in very good condition with only 50,000km, the steering wheel has some damage that appears to be wear from rings on a previous driver's fingers. On the left some of the chrome has chipped/peeled away from the trim above the cruise/limiter switches, and on the right there is some abrasion of the leather surface about the 2 o'clock position. My plan is to paint the existing chrome trims black, and to resurface the leather on the abraded section. This is something I will need the steering wheel out to achieve. I have trialled Plasti-dip on the chrome sections and the look was far better than the current damage, almost like a factory finish, but being a rubber-like material began to peel within a few weeks as expected, hence the need to use a harder paint. The leather abrasion should resurface to a reasonable standard using the same method I have used to repair bicycle saddles. Overall, I'm trying to achieve a cheap , good repair, not a perfect restoration on what is already a 5 year old car.
KenC   
Sun Sep 04 2016, 01:29am
Member No: #18024
Someone replaced a stalk and posted photos and instructions on how to remove steering wheel, something to with hole at the bottom of the wheel
1 User said Thank You to KenC for this Post :
 Porl (04 Sep 2016 : 02:14)
Porl   
Sun Sep 04 2016, 02:17am
Member No: #17283
Thanks KenC. I had already found the post you are referring to - I think. The one I found relates to the earlier C4 with the fixed hub steering wheel, like my previous car. I expect the solution with the new car is similar, but don't want to go blindly poking about under the airbag without confirmation.

P.
KenC   
Sun Sep 04 2016, 03:46am
Member No: #18024
Another option, I used aluminium tape on the chrome trim on my steering wheel!
1 User said Thank You to KenC for this Post :
 Porl (04 Sep 2016 : 04:22)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member