or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Road Tests and Reports

DSport 2.0HDi 'Blue' DSport - Final Report

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
FrankBullitt   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 04:10pm

Member No: #19238
So, the caravan is on order and my mind turns to more power.

Buying a new car can be painful when you have a deadline - I drove a DS5 a couple of weeks ago and I'm sad to say it was a disappointment - too small inside and not especially comfortable so what to do - well, we like the DS4, the weight is fine for our new caravan (Bailey Pursuit 430/4, 1229kg max weight) but more power is needed. Not really having a budget, it was best to see what offered value. I found a few '14 plate DSport's but either the history was poor or they were overpriced. I drove a facelifted 2.0HDi Prestige which had lovely Xenon's and Sat Nav but the upholstery felt decidedly poor next to the DStyle and the lack of vibrating seats seems a bit nasty. I wasn't really getting it. A local dealer sourced a car from Citroën central stock (2.0HDi DStyle Nav) but an overdue service and I'm 'oot'.

Superb support and help from Ady at Islington Motor Group in Trowbridge and the deal was done on a 2015 '15 2.0HDi Blue DSport in Babylon red - it's what I refer to as he halfway house spec; updated infortainment and blue Euro 6 engine but not facelifted, in the stunning Babylon red; secured by the dealer from Citroën stock, it had only done 30 miles since it was services in Feb this year at 18,300 miles. I did the deal over the phone and was not disappointed on collection.

It's stunning - the engine is incredibly punchy, it's perhaps slightly less happy pulling from idle than the 1.6 but a couple of hundred more revs on the clock and it's off - torque, torque, torque - the drive back to Cambridgeshire was very relaxed, the 19" Cairns wheels not causing anything like the discomfort I'd envisaged in fact, the ride is excellent. The interior is beautiful, the heated leather (still massaging) seats are just lush. The blind spot monitoring proving surprisingly useful and hopefully the front parking sensors will keep it dent free.

I'm having a towbar fitted Wednesday with 13 pin electrics and the caravan is being picked up a week friday.

The DS4 has always been a car to look back at and admire but as a Babylon Red DSport, it smacks you in the face and demands you admire it.

What a car! Negatives? With the updated infotainment you can't turn off the DRL's and side lights don't come on even on 'auto'. That's it.

Poor weather since pick up so this is the dealer picture;

gittos   
Sun Aug 28 2016, 04:34pm
Member No: #30055
Love the colour...wish I could get a C4P in that colour, hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying my C4P 1.6 EAT6
1 User said Thank You to gittos for this Post :
 FrankBullitt (30 Aug 2016 : 13:39)
rusky   
Mon Aug 29 2016, 02:58am
Member No: #27768
Oooh nice!
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
BigJohnD   
Mon Aug 29 2016, 04:47am

Member No: #82
Terrific colour!
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
riven1962   
Mon Aug 29 2016, 10:07am
Member No: #18905
Very nice looking car.
1 User said Thank You to riven1962 for this Post :
FrankBullitt   
Tue Aug 30 2016, 04:15am

It is a stunning colour, I'm looking forward to getting out and giving it a proper wash and polish!

It drives wonderfully, the ride is really no firmer at all - I did also forget to mention it has keyless entry and start which is really useful.

I've taken the space saver from our old car (which we bought separate) and will put it in this one, the only issue is that with the blue tank it needs a new insert (the dealer was happy for me to try to swap them) as the new cars can't fit a full size spare in there. I know Citroën say you can't have a space saver with the 19" wheels but that's because it won't fit on the front due to the larger discs which is a minor inconvenience should we get a flat.

It also has the auto dip mirrors when you select reverse, not a game changer but a lovely details.

I'm getting used to the stop-start which is very useful except the engine re-starts if you have your foot off the clutch but put the hand brake on, no idea why it should do that but it means it will only get used either on the flat or with your foot on the brake on an incline. At first I though there was a fault as it wouldn't stop the engine until I realise it was because I was foolishly putting the handbrake on then taking it out of gear!

The towbar is being fitted Wednesday - interestingly most dealers I spoke to (including some owned by Citroën) were very open that when they fit tow bars for customers they get a local supplier to do it as 'The Citroën kits are way too expensive'.

bluehdi   
Tue Aug 30 2016, 12:06pm
Member No: #2617
Fabulous looking car and great write up. I noticed you left us in suspense for a short while, by telling us what you'd got rid of before announcing the new car!

Please could you post pics of the interior as it would be great to see.

Glad that your caravan towing days are about to commence!
1 User said Thank You to bluehdi for this Post :
FrankBullitt   
Tue Aug 30 2016, 01:02pm

I've received a bit of flak for buying a caravan, as I'm sure you'd imagine!

The trip computer is quite different to the old model, with the centre display in the speedo (which used to house the digital speed) now has he rolling function for the trip or you can have it with just the speed, the mileage is now in the fuel gauge (the right dial) with the rev counter and gear indicator in the left (as before) but the gear indicator now shows 'down' as well as 'up' - you can leave the trip computer on the 7" screen with the stereo station still showing at the top. Oddly, it doesn't display if the auto wipers are on and the seat belt warning is now in the centre of the speedo (telling you which ones are done rather than undone).

It has patking gap measurement but I haven't checked this out yet.

The pictures are from the advert;

The leather is superb quality - it's not particularly hot when left in the sun and feels much more supple than the cack Audi or BMW fit in much of their range (unless you upgrade to Nappa), it really is wonderfully comfortable.

Love it!
FrankBullitt   
Sun Sep 04 2016, 07:51am

Gave it a wash and polish today, it had got quite dirty and I fancied getting to know it a bit better - the paint seems to be better quality than the silver on our old DS4 and the Purple on the Picasso, it's generally blemish free with only a few stone chips to note;

1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 BigJohnD (06 Sep 2016 : 12:41)
riven1962   
Sun Sep 04 2016, 09:16am
Member No: #18905
Very nice looking car.
rusky   
Sun Sep 04 2016, 01:55pm
Member No: #27768
Lovely car & lovely colour
FrankBullitt   
Mon Sep 12 2016, 03:24pm

Collected our brand new caravan on Friday night - very odd experience on some respects as I've never had a new car in my life. Thankfully Mrs FB spotted the flat tyre on it before we pulled away but five minutes later they'd replaced the whole wheel.

It was a 20 minute drive to the place we were staying at, a chance to get a couple of miles under my feet having never towed before. I have to say, you can tell the car is slower with the caravan on the back of course, but it performs very well; stable, powerful and comfortable to drive, only going on some back roads enduced a slight pitching motion on bumps where the caravan going over imperfection moved the car but it was fine just going a little slower. Eventually got set up;

The caravan is kept at a local farm but I thought I'd make sure it fitted on the drive for the night before holidays, and so it does - there is about a foot behind the 'van to the garage door when the tow bar is completely over the drive, so it might stick out a little with a fluorescent jacket on the hitch so nobody walks into it;

On the A1 it was solid as a rock at 60mph, driving through France at 110km/h will be lovely. Can't wait.
FrankBullitt   
Tue Sep 20 2016, 11:05am

Took the car to Duxford Motor Group today for an oil change - it was only done 1000 miles ago but as the car had been sat around for 7 months I figured it wouldn't do any harm - £115 for oil and filter change and it was all done on an hour whilst I waited.

I've also ordered the insert that goes in the spare wheel well that allows me to fit the space saver spare - due to the 'blue' tank my old insert wouldn't fit, interestingly the part came up when they put the number plate into the system despite being a DSport and, therefore, a car you couldn't order a spare for from new (19" wheels) - £75 inc VAT and it should be here in a few days.

Still pulls like a train and really does go well, left my meeting in Bury St Edmunds today and as I pulled on to the A14 at the eastern junction (heading West) there were a pair of trucks in the inside lane of the slip - I gave it the full diving-boot and they were both passed rapidly and safely before merging with traffic.

Love it!
FrankBullitt   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 11:41am

A couple of months in and we have put 4K on the car already, it always was going to be a busy period. So, the bad news? Both front wheels have been kerbed, the first one jumped out at Mrs FB seemingly and couldn't be avoided (well, unless she had stopped and reversed a little rather than trying to make a tight turn), the nearside was last week which I had the pleasure of listening to as she 'dropped' the car down a kerb that she was trying to park on (apparently it was impossible to see).

October half term was a trip to Wassenaar, Holland - we had already booked this in a static so we didn't take our own; overnight from Harwich to Hook van Holland, it was a lovely break and a real chance to let the new car stretch its legs although the economy was nobbled by having all our bikes on the roof - it got 42mpg for the week in a mix of local driving and motorway use (speed limits go up and down all the time on the motorway), with a trip to Amsterdam, the Afsluitdijk, Volendam and Arnhem to see the Bridge too Far, the car performed faultlessly.

Last weekend I went to see my mum and dad on the North East Coast and Saturday was a howler weather-wise, unfortunately I had a little issue on Saltburn Bank - coming off the top bend in 2nd I completely lost traction from the tyres as I tried to accelerate - I went for first (quickly) but again traction was awful and I had to scrabble up the hill in 1st gear - it seems the front 'EP Tyres' are awful in the wet, I had noticed the wheel being a bit light at times but wasn't prepared for the complete loss of traction; the back tyres (Michelin SuperSport) have 3mm left so I have bitten the bullet and bought 4 which are being fitted tomorrow for £760 (ouch!), shame the dealer had put such awful tyres on the front.

Otherwise I'm still finding my way around some of the changes on this car with its upgraded infortainment - pressing the button to check the service due date also shows the tyre pressures as being 'OK' and that I don't need Adblue for at least 1500 miles. Cruise control now works in 3rd gear (needed to be in at least 4th on the old one), it doesn't have mood lighting which isn't the end of the world as the stereo screen is bright enough, you can still change to km/h at the flick of a few buttons too. I do like the keyless entry and find it annoying using the antiquated system on the A2 now, front parking sensors are a bit of a gimmick buy the blind spot monitoring is great. Also, I adjust the instrument display more than on any other car I have owned between darker and lighter.

Still really like it though, looking forward to having some new tyres on it even though my credit card bill this month will be huge!

routemaster1   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 12:31pm
Member No: #574
FrankBullitt wrote ...

Last weekend I went to see my mum and dad on the North East Coast and Saturday was a howler weather-wise, unfortunately I had a little issue on Saltburn Bank - coming off the top bend in 2nd I completely lost traction from the tyres as I tried to accelerate - I went for first (quickly) but again traction was awful and I had to scrabble up the hill in 1st gear - it seems the front 'EP Tyres' are awful in the wet, I had noticed the wheel being a bit light at times but wasn't prepared for the complete loss of traction; the back tyres (Michelin SuperSport) have 3mm left so I have bitten the bullet and bought 4 which are being fitted tomorrow for £760 (ouch!), shame the dealer had put such awful tyres on the front.

I wish dealers wouldn't do this. My local dealer seems to fit all sorts of rubbish, which I suppose are the cheapest they can get cheaply. Unfortunately they often seem to put incorrect load rating on as well. I obviously don't know whether this at the instigation of the agent or the suppliers, but there often seems to be issues with one or the other.

The issue with the EP tyres (Malaysian, are they E marked)is lack of grip. This may me a nuisance when accelerating, but could be deadly if they don't grip when braking. Good on you for your decision to change them!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member