or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Towing :: C4 Towing, roof bars, bicycle carriers and roof boxes

DS4 1.6HDi 115 caravan towing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
FrankBullitt   
Sun Aug 14 2016, 02:57pm

Member No: #19238
So we've been here before, as I've always fancied a caravan but Mrs FB hasn't been convinced - however having come back from another lovely holiday in France staying in an Al Fresco static she has decided it's time we get one - strike whilst the iron is hot I say!

Now I'd fancy an Eriba but in the spirit of compromise she has told me that is a bridge too far for the three of us for a fortnights holiday so we will be going bigger - I think we will be looking at a Bailey Orion 430 or similar which has a total weight of 1250kg; the DS4 is 1417kg so from a weight perspective (88%) they are an ideal fit, but I'm slightly concerned whether it has sufficient guts to pull the outfit happily for a 480 mile trip from Calais at 110km/h - it's a great engine for the solo trip (with roof box and boot full of plonk on the way home) but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of a similar caravan with this engine (or the slightly earlier 110 8v unit) in a DS4 or C4.

I'd hate to spend £650+ putting a tow bar on the car only to have to sell it after going out for a spin. My other option is to take the chance to replace it with a 2.0HDi Blue facelifted car but buying a caravan I'd prefer to keep the DS4 we have for another 2-3 years! I could go for a pre-facelift DS4 2.0HDi DSport but that doesn't perhaps feel different enough...

Thoughts all appreciated.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Aug 17 2016, 11:41am

This might become academic - driving a DS5 2.0HDi DStyle on Friday.
FrankBullitt   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 08:37am

Well, one part of the calculation is complete;

Ours is a factory stock model so we get an end of season discount but it's brand, spanking new - the DS4 will tow it, I'm considering getting a row hook fitted and seeing if it has enough power.

The DS5? Too small inside, smaller than the DS4 surprisingly so that's a no.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member