or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Steering wheel control/button set replacement (pictures!)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
fulabeer   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 08:51am
Member No: #45669
Hi, I had an issue with the "mode" and "ok" buttons on the steering controls randomly swapping functions or not responding at all. I tried spraying with contact cleaner, and although it fixed my intermittent cruise control fault, it didn't work for these buttons.

I bought a replacement off eBay for £15. It arrived in excellent condition. However, I soon realised it didn't have the bluetooth phone controls that my car needs (DOH!)
I originally planned to just order a new replacement from the main dealers, but wanted to be sure the fault didn't lie elsewhere first. So i decided to fit it any way until i can find the correct replacement.
The replacement works perfectly, so i know that the fault was with the old button set.

I checked with my garage if it would be safe for me to remove the steering wheel air bag. He talked me through the procedure, but said it was at my own risk.

There are three things you are supposed to do before attempting to remove the steering wheel air bag. First disconnect the battery. This is easy on this car due to quick release battery clamps.
The second thing is disconnect the airbag control module. (located under the central arm rest)
Third is to wait five minutes before attempting the work.
The whole job took about 20 mins with me taking my time.

I did one and three. I'm not sure if two is that important, so you may choose to do that as well.

First up was to release the airbag. Make sure the steering wheel is straight. There is an hole under the steering column. Get a screwdriver or similar that fits the hole without too much wriggle room. You are trying to push an internal bar up. If the screwdriver is too slim, it will pass this bar and do nothing. You only have to go in about 20mm before coming into contact with the release bar. It is springy, and if it is working the airbag will start to pop off. Gently wriggle the airbag free.

To unplug the airbag wiring, gently lift up the plugs "cap". They do NOT pull apart like a normal socket and plug. The whole plug lifts up and off the metal tube once the top cap has been lifted up. (see picture)
There are two connectors each side and one earth plug which just pulls off.

Once the airbag is out of the way. You can now undo the three star drive screws holding the button set. There is one connector that just needs a small screwdriver to help release.

That's it! Just reverse the above to install your new controls.

Once done, you are ready to reconnect the battery.
It is recommended you keep the drivers door open, stay clear of the airbag and lean in just enough to reach the ignition. Turn on the ignition and wait whilst the airbag system does it's self check.

Assuming all is ok, then go into the menu to reset the clock and system settings as required.
Job done...
4 User said Thank You to fulabeer for this Post :
 rusky (20 Aug 2016 : 12:20) , BigJohnD (20 Aug 2016 : 17:23) , Mistermena (21 Aug 2016 : 01:21) , Honest (21 Aug 2016 : 05:07)
Chibs   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 10:34am
Good work. Nicely presented for service.
Wish this forum was more mobile friendly as I've tried many times to upload pictures but with no avail.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 fulabeer (20 Aug 2016 : 11:35)
rusky   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 12:19pm
Member No: #27768
Chibs wrote ...

Good work. Nicely presented for service.
Wish this forum was more mobile friendly as I've tried many times to upload pictures but with no avail.

I believe uploading of images to the forum is limited to premier members. You can of course upload them somewhere else like Imgur, flickr etc. and link to them in your posts.
rusky   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 12:21pm
Member No: #27768
Nicely done! I can imagine that being made into a guide by Wozza
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 fulabeer (20 Aug 2016 : 19:20)
Chibs   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 02:10pm
Ok Rusky thanks for that. Explains why ive found it difficult
fulabeer   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 04:27pm
Member No: #45669
I hosted them on flickr and linked them.
BigJohnD   
Sat Aug 20 2016, 05:23pm

Member No: #82
Excellent, and great photos.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 fulabeer (20 Aug 2016 : 19:20)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member